possibility of practicing outside the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qtpie055

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Was just wondering if anyone else has ever considered/are considering practicing/residing somewhere else after med school??

I'm not really sure...have been thinking of living in the UK. I spent a year abroad there and really consider that place my second home. I've already been accpeted into a US Med school so turning that opportunity down would be stupid. Plus, at least I can get financial loans here in the US. Since i'm not a UK citizen, the government would not fund me like they do for their nromal residence.

Does anyone know of anyone completing their med school and/or residency here in the states and then practicing abroad?? If so, was it hard?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it would be stupid to not go to medical school here, and its much easier to get a residency as a US grad into US residencies of course. Medical training in the UK differs a lot from the states. I have worked with one resident from Scotland, but don't know anyone from the US going to UK. He described his education as very pathology (2 years of it) and embryology based. The good thing is that your MD is recognized internationally. The only issue I would see is if you were getting a DO, which may have a harder time in other countries.
Here's a resource for physicians wanting to go to the UK to practice/train: http://www.britainusa.com/faq/showfaq.asp?SID=462 also check out the international section of SDN.
Once you go to medical school, if you really continue to have an interest in practicing in the UK, get involved with the your international medical education group/office early. They can point you to resources such as local events/speakers as well as clinical opportunities during the summer between your 1st and 2nd year as well as clinical rotations in your 4th year.

sscooterguy

What about middle east? :thumbup: [SIZE=2]4[/SIZE]