Possible Application Scenario

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TarheelGirlx3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduate in May. My original plan has been to take orgo and physics in the Fall and Spring (2013-14) then apply in summer 2014 to hopefully enter 2015. But, I had a thought of taking Orgo and physics straight through summer 2013 and applying this coming June. However, I would not have orgo 2 before the mcat. Even so, assuming I did well enough to apply DO, I wouldn't have MCAT scores released until Sept-Oct assuming I could take the Aug-Sep MCATs. Would this put me too late in the game? If I make As in orgo and phys I could come out with about 3.4 sGPA and around the same or little higher cGPA. I would apply to Campbell, West Virginia, Georgia campus PCOM, and Virginia Carolinas campus. Anyones thoughts? Would I be wasting money? Too rushed? Help!!

I should add I have about 30 hrs hospital volunteering, research experience involving childrens memory, about to shadow a DO, relay for life, 2 years as a community government treasurer on my campus, and quality exposure to dr patient relationships and how drs collaborate together.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I graduate in May. My original plan has been to take orgo and physics in the Fall and Spring (2013-14) then apply in summer 2014 to hopefully enter 2015. But, I had a thought of taking Orgo and physics straight through summer 2013 and applying this coming June. However, I would not have orgo 2 before the mcat. Even so, assuming I did well enough to apply DO, I wouldn't have MCAT scores released until Sept-Oct assuming I could take the Aug-Sep MCATs. Would this put me too late in the game? If I make As in orgo and phys I could come out with about 3.4 sGPA and around the same or little higher cGPA. I would apply to Campbell, West Virginia, Georgia campus PCOM, and Virginia Carolinas campus. Anyones thoughts? Would I be wasting money? Too rushed? Help!!

I should add I have about 30 hrs hospital volunteering, research experience involving childrens memory, about to shadow a DO, relay for life, 2 years as a community government treasurer on my campus, and quality exposure to dr patient relationships and how drs collaborate together.

Ultimately, you know what you're capable of, but I must be honest that it sounds like you're rushing things a bit. I say hold off, follow through with Plan A, get awesome grades and an awesome MCAT (which would really be much easier after the 2nd semester of O. chem), write an awesome PS, and then apply. I'm all about doing it right the first time. I would say that if the cost involved in possibly retaking the MCAT and having to go through the application process more than once isn't a problem for you, and you think you can get those classes done in the summer and still pull As, then do it! You could blind submit without knowing your MCAT, and getting primaries in that late makes for a painful wait, but it doesn't take you out the running.

Are you able to submit primaries with orgo/physics 1 in progress? Or submit primary towards end of june after completing those 2, with orgo/phys 2 planned or in progress?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you able to submit primaries with orgo/physics 1 in progress? Or submit primary towards end of june after completing those 2, with orgo/phys 2 planned or in progress?

That is a very good question. I would say you should at least have the grades from the first semester on your transcript and the other two listed "in progress" when you apply. However, that is definitely a question worth calling admissions at a school you're interested in to ask.

If you can apply with those classes in progress, a pair of 3.4s would mean you should aim for 27+ on the MCAT. That plus a DO letter, more shadowing, and good other letters of rec should yield some success for you from the schools you listed.