I think we don’t have all the information, on that we agree. But from the OPs comments where he clarifies that he knows “rigid” refers to physical and not mental attributes, it is clear he did get some in person feedback. He just isn’t sharing it here. The rotation feedback as written is only so long because it is meant to be a summary, not an extensive recitation of everything that occurred during the rotation.
Classic mindset that always puts the blame on the student. No one is asking for an extensive recitation of everything that happened during a rotation or hell even the times OP was observed; but if an attending will write
"student rigid, empathy and compassion in patient interview lacking." the least they could do is add 1 specific example of why they think so. Thats not much now, is it?
Different facets of one’s personalities and abilities come out on different rotations. So feedback on different rotations may pick up something different.
I agree. I think that's a really good point actually. On FM and OBGYN the student would have had more time to chat with patients and interact with them; wouldn't their
awkward/rigid communication skills according to you show up here more? Even if they got attendings that didn't care; I find it hard that they went without any feedback on that.
I don’t know that OP asked anyone to take a “side.” Saying that the OP obtained actionable feedback isn’t “against” the OP.
I'll address that.
In fact I’d say that the “ignore the feedback entirely because it doesn’t match what was said on FM and OB and it also isn’t positive” is much more “against” the OP than telling them that this is something they can address and they should seek additional feedback.
I haven't said once to ignore the feedback. I also am not basing my argument entirely around their earlier evals. Basically, what I am trying to point out are two things. 1)- that there is a
chance OP might had genuine intent to be compassionate and caring throughout their pt interviews; and they simply need help to work on their social skills. This is important because if someone needs help on this; a very general statement will do more harm than good. 2)- since you seem to be inclined that OP is
hiding stuff - which hey - it could be true; I think they deserve the benefit of doubt.
it is clear he did get some in person feedback. He just isn’t sharing it here.
Confident, are we? Don't be so demure now @LucidSplash you should have just said how brilliant you are at analyzing online forums and message histories!! My sincerest apologies. Out with it now OP! what are you hiding!
Students with poor social skills will not improve with broad feedback (specifically this for intricacies in communication). It might have the opposite effect of hurting, frustrating, and isolating them even more. You can't tell a "rigid" student they are rigid and expect them to improve.