Possible for FMG (US Citizen)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MdMdMd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of foreign medical grads, though US citizens, able to match in Derm. Step 1 is decent at 235, transcript (though Caribbean) is straight H's.
If so, what program specifically?

Thanks

You should understand now that your chances of matching in a U.S. Derm Residency are very, very low applying straight from a Caribbean med school. Not zero, but very close to zero. You have to understand that there are many US med school superstars applying to Derm with similar numbers like you.

There are just over 300 open USA allopathic (M.D.) derm residency slots per year and usually 800 - 900 candidates apply for them. That's an acceptance rate less than 40%. Many of the accepted candidates "walk on water". Derm is very elitist and will chose USA grads over FMG's (99% of the time the derm programs will chose the USA grads).

But to give you some hope...In the past, I know that Univ of Chicago, Boston University, Duke, and U.T. Southwestern have taken foreign grads. But most of the FMG's graduated from reputable European or Asian medical schools and did a multi-year Derm research fellowship with well-known U.S. Derm faculty before matching. You too can also increase your chances by doing research with a USA Derm residency program, publishing, and networking with well-known Derm faculty who must write you outstanding letters of recommendation. Apply to Derm and see what happens. But go in knowing that there is a strong preference toward USA grads and you coming from a Caribbean med school will be a major "black-eye" on your Derm application. You may have to apply multiple times to get into a USA Derm program...but even then, there are no guarantees that you'll ever get accepted...so be prepared to have a backup specialty.

I know the truth hurts...but it's the truth. Good luck

I was reading somewhere that more people actually apply to derm, but that they aren't counted since they don't get interviews and then match in something else. It's a tough process. I admittedly don't know anything but MdMdMd's stats would make him a competitive applicant, although not a superstar. Right?

-X

You should understand now that your chances of matching in a U.S. Derm Residency are very, very low applying straight from a Caribbean med school. Not zero, but very close to zero. You have to understand that there are many US med school superstars applying to Derm with similar numbers like you.

There are just over 300 open USA allopathic (M.D.) derm residency slots per year and usually 800 - 900 candidates apply for them. That's an acceptance rate less than 40%. Many of the accepted candidates "walk on water". Derm is very elitist and will chose USA grads over FMG's (99% of the time the derm programs will chose the USA grads).

But to give you some hope...In the past, I know that Univ of Chicago, Boston University, Duke, and U.T. Southwestern have taken foreign grads. But most of the FMG's graduated from reputable European or Asian medical schools and did a multi-year Derm research fellowship with well-known U.S. Derm faculty before matching. You too can also increase your chances by doing research with a USA Derm residency program, publishing, and networking with well-known Derm faculty who must write you outstanding letters of recommendation. Apply to Derm and see what happens. But go in knowing that there is a strong preference toward USA grads and you coming from a Caribbean med school will be a major "black-eye" on your Derm application. You may have to apply multiple times to get into a USA Derm program...but even then, there are no guarantees that you'll ever get accepted...so be prepared to have a backup specialty.

I know the truth hurts...but it's the truth. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
SGU, AUC and in the past Ross all have had derm matches. Not impossible, but damn near close to it. Try to get in touch with those students. Many usually end up doing research of sorts before matching or are very friendly with the PD. People are gonna throw you some numbers about the stats. My advice: seek out those who have done it, find out how they did it, then execute your plan. Your arn't out until you get rejected.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of foreign medical grads, though US citizens, able to match in Derm. Step 1 is decent at 235, transcript (though Caribbean) is straight H's.
If so, what program specifically?

Thanks

Besides all the other credentials.....50% of matched derm residents have been nominated AOA honor status.

This honor status is only given to med students from US allopathic schools...and is another hidden limiting factor for US IMGs and IMGs.

Its unfair, but very true.

I suggest you buy your own hospital... set up a dermatology residency in it and apply to it. Far easier. :cool:

to the OP - its true what you've said about trying your hardest...but if you know there's a bottomless pit at the other end, i wouldn't recommend throwing yourself in, with or without that 100%. just my 2 cents. go for something with better chances...

I would second the above posters comments. You are just setting yourself up for failure. If you had boards over 260 and published Derm research I would say to give it a shot but with a 235 I would be VERY surprised if you were offered any interviews. The only chance you have would be to rotate at as many programs as possible and really shine!
If you have your heart set on Derm plan to apply for a good fellowship, the few FMG's that have gotten have usually been through fellowships.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi,
On the same note, I would run my situation and appreciate any input.
I am an FMG with >260 on both parts and 8-10 non-Derm pubs. I have many abstracts, posters, grants, excellent letters and awards. All of these are in US and pubs are national level in reputed journals.
I would appreciate your comments regarding my chances in Derm.
Thanks

Neil,
I think you have a chance. Where did you go to school? Honestly, the biggest problem in Derm is the name factor or snobbery that exists. I had 9 Derm interviews last year, met +100 derm applicants and saw exactly 1 FMG. He was from SGU and it was at Albert Einstein where he had rotated. I don't know whether he matched or not. There is really a lot of prejudice in Derm against FMG's. I went to an LCME school in Puerto Rico so I wasn't considered FMG/IMG, had both Steps 260+, Derm pubs, AOA, etc applied to 75 programs and got only 9 interviews so it is an uphill battle for anyone who isn't from a big name school.
Good luck, I will keep my fingers crossed for you!