possible gap year, what to do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanillabear55

just keep swimming
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not asking what to do about a gap year-
but rather how to make sure I don't screw anything up at the moment (just finishing junior year).
I am registered for the MCAT on June 21st- but am leaning towards not taking it, and postponing it till Jan. 2013 at least. I just noticed in an AMCAS youtube instructional video that it has a question like "have you ever registered for or taken the mcat between ...."
Why would they lump those two together? Its making me nervous.

If I apply for the 2013-2014 cycle instead, will this affect me in any way, since I have technically registered for an MCAT?

Also- I am supposed to sit for my premedical committee soon, would I have to sit again for next year or should I just cancel this interview?

I'm just worried about making a stupid mistake and regretting it.

thanks for any advice/if you have other suggestions I would appreciate them!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not asking what to do about a gap year-
but rather how to make sure I don't screw anything up at the moment (just finishing junior year).
I am registered for the MCAT on June 21st- but am leaning towards not taking it, and postponing it till Jan. 2013 at least. I just noticed in an AMCAS youtube instructional video that it has a question like "have you ever registered for or taken the mcat between ...."
Why would they lump those two together? Its making me nervous.

If I apply for the 2013-2014 cycle instead, will this affect me in any way, since I have technically registered for an MCAT?

Also- I am supposed to sit for my premedical committee soon, would I have to sit again for next year or should I just cancel this interview?

I'm just worried about making a stupid mistake and regretting it.

thanks for any advice/if you have other suggestions I would appreciate them!

1. No, schools don't know or even care if you registered for but did not take the MCAT. The reason that question exists in AMCAS is so that they can link it to your application, since you use the same registration ID/personal information or whatever every time you register for the MCAT.

2. Talk to your about your pre-medical committee about whether you should hold off. They should be able to answer fairly easily. It varies from school to school.

Don't take the MCAT until you're ready. Nice part about Jan 2013 is they're taking out the writing sample!

1. No, schools don't know or even care if you registered for but did not take the MCAT. The reason that question exists in AMCAS is so that they can link it to your application, since you use the same registration ID/personal information or whatever every time you register for the MCAT.

2. Talk to your about your pre-medical committee about whether you should hold off. They should be able to answer fairly easily. It varies from school to school.

Don't take the MCAT until you're ready. Nice part about Jan 2013 is they're taking out the writing sample!

Thank you for taking the time to read my question, and I agree I definitely don't wanna take it until I know I'm ready.

Also, I had no idea there were gonna be changes in the 2013 MCATs haha- thanks!