Possible Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaberVet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I hope the interview process is going smoothly for all my fellow veterinarian hopefuls, wherever you may be applying. I started this thread in hopes that people who are preparing for their interviews could use this thread to think of some questions that they may be asked. So if you are in vet school, have undergone all or some of your interviews, or just have heard of some questions that vet schools ask, please post them hear so those that need to interview can start preparing for possible questions we'll be asked. Thanks and best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

If you go up near the top of the page and on the Veterinary drop-down tab there is Interview Feedback. Each submission from almost all the vet schools will have interview questions that others were asked.

These seem like common questions:
Explain a conflict in school/workplace and how you resolved it.
X ethical problem was in the media recently. Do you think Mr. Y was prosecuted fairly. Would you ever do Z (regarding another ethical concern in Vet. Med).
Why here? <-- Will definitely be asked...

What do you offer that other students don't?
What area would you like to go into?
Do you know about X program at our school?

etc., etc. - You can see more of the same in the interview feedback section. There is also a list around here somewhere with a bunch of general interview questions. Might be in the medical forum, can't remember.

The best place to start looking for interview questions would probably be the "interviews" section of this web site. There are a ton of potential questions listed there, submitted by people who have gone through the vet school interview process.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was another Thread about this, it listed a lot of possible questions. You should be able to find it by doing a search or just looking through old posts.

Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone that you did not get along with.

Tell me about a time when you thought something needed to be changed or could have been done better. How did you go about changing it?

Tell me about a tramatic or stressful situation in your life and how did you deal with it?

If you made a bumber sticker about yourself what would it say?

A family brings in their 4 yr old healthy cat to be put down because they are moving, what do you do?

What are some current events that have an impact on veterinary medicine?

What is the biggest problem facing the world today?

Tell me about a time when you made a promise to someone that was very difficult to keep.

Tell me about a time that you had to make a difficult decision and what was the outcome?

What is an issue that veterinarians are going to have to increasingly deal with?

How much does a starting vet make?

How do you perform a spay?

What is the difference between animal welfare/rights?

What is a veterinary procedure that sticks out in my mind?

How much does it cost to attend our school and how will you finance your education?

What does GDV stand for? Explain symptoms of incoming patient with GDV. How would you diagnose this condition and how would you treat it?

Tell me everything you know about avian influenza.

What do you think about people who own too many pets?

What do you think should be done about people who can't afford healthcare for themselves much less their pets?

What qualities do you look for in a good veterinarian? How many of these do you possess?

How should veterinarians contribute to society?

What questions do you have for us?

What field of vet med are you most interested in?

What do you want to know more about?

What is a coggins test?

Tell us about BSE.

Tell me about (insert something from your personal statement here).

What are the differences between beef and poultry production?

What is hoof and mouth disease? Do you think it was necessary to cull all of those cows in England? What about a vaccine?

Tell us about a case that has stuck with you.

Why this University?

If not veterinary medicine, what would you do?

How do you relieve stress?

What are your feelings on animals in research?

How do you deal with stress and managing a busy schedule?

Tell us about yourself, your life, and how you got to be sitting here today.

What do you think are the strongest and weakest parts of your application?

What were your favorite and least favorite PreRequisite Classes and why?

Why should we choose you? What makes you stand out above the other applicants?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

What would you tell a client that called you to say that their dog had pinworms?