Possible Interview Time Conflict

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

russellang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you had issues with interviews and possibly not being able to make any of the interview times a school has given you to choose from. I applied to 15 schools whom all interview and I just got word that my very close friend who lives across the country is getting married in the spring right in the middle of interview time. He wants me to be a groomsmen but I cannot confirm nor deny if I can be there because of interviews and I wont know about them until much later obviously (he needs me to respond this week if I will be there and be a groomsmen).

While I think I am paranoid, I am concerned that if I get interviews, I might have to decide between the wedding or an interview. I just got an interview invite for next month and I had two days to choose from. Since the wedding is across the country, I will need to be out of town for 2-4 days. I know some schools only give you one day/time and that some schools will not reschedule appointment dates.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hmm... Interview or paying to be in a wedding? Tough choice. :rolleyes:

If only I had these problems.

You usually have choices so I'd say one weekend with plans in the spring isn't gonna be the end of the world. Are you planning to interview at all 15 if you get invited for all? That is gonna be super expensive and time consuming! Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm... Interview or paying to be in a wedding? Tough choice. :rolleyes:

If only I had these problems.

At risk of sounding like a human being, being a part of a good friend's wedding is a (hopefully) once in a lifetime experience. Maybe I'm crazy, but I wouldn't want to spend four years at a school that doesn't understand that.

At risk of sounding like a human being, being a part of a good friend's wedding is a (hopefully) once in a lifetime experience. Maybe I'm crazy, but I wouldn't want to spend four years at a school that doesn't understand that.

eh, remember that a lot of time and money goes into the interview process for the school and that they're also just looking for reasons to weed students out to make their decisions easier. unfortunately thats part of being in a professional program. you are expected to make school come first to everything except emergencies with very little exception. you are also going to have to make A LOT of sacrifices in vet school, its just all part of the program. i know quite a few people here that are having to miss major weddings and family events to be in school. yes, it is not very easy to leave since we're on an island, but you won't be able to do it even if its close if you have upcoming exams or other commitments. there's no such thing as being human in vet school ;)

i wish you all the best with your decision-perhaps you could look at the websites or contact the schools to see when they interview/if they offer multiple dates? if you applied to 15 schools then you've spent A LOT of money on the application process already, i wouldn't want to blow it by not being able to make an interview date.

lastly, have you considered how potentially costly interviewing can be? you might want to think about how much you could potentially be spending on travel and accommodations (even if you only interview with a few schools)

good luck!

they're also just looking for reasons to weed students out to make their decisions easier.

This makes no sense. If they wanted to weed people out, they wouldn't interview them.

Either way, the OP needs to decide what's most important to him/her. Remember that those on the admissions committees are human, too.

This makes no sense. If they wanted to weed people out, they wouldn't interview them.

dont forget they interview more people than they have seats for...

ETA: you can believe what you like about it, but i know people that have had to pick between interviewing at school x and school y because the interview dates were the same and neither school would budge on a date change. i also know someone who was sent a letter from a school telling them that it was considered highly unprofessional of that individual to submit an application, all the parts, etc. but forget to fill out and submit a form. admissions to any school is a cut throat business-there are a lot of qualified people for not very many seats.

Last edited:
dont forget they interview more people than they have seats for...

I think maybe we are confusing "weeding out" with "making an informed decision about a candidate". Clearly schools need to reject some applicants who've been invited for interviews, but I'd hope that a need to reschedule wouldn't supersede everything that made the candidate interviewable in the first place.

I think maybe we are confusing "weeding out" with "making an informed decision about a candidate". Clearly schools need to reject some applicants who've been invited for interviews, but I'd hope that a need to reschedule wouldn't supersede everything that made the candidate interviewable in the first place.
I think it really depends on the school. Some schools have several interview dates to choose from so it's not such a big deal (like Ohio State). Others (like Penn) you get assigned a date and can probably get it changed if it's an emergency because they will have other interview dates unless it's really late in the season. Still others have only one planned interview date for OOS students and it's not really possible to reschedule (LSU). I would definitely consider the idea that, with 15 schools, you might have a conflict. You'll have to make a little bit of a gamble either way.