Possible options, low gpa, stay premed or switch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyMD11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey
I just finished my sophomore year fall semester, and I did very bad, I got about a 3.2 gpa. My overall gpa is about 3.45 and science gpa is about 3.4.

I worked extremely hard this last semester and I was burnt out during finals and choked. So, I have been considering whether i should i even stay premed becasue I won't get into med schools(state: michigan) as i still have biochem and orgo 2 remaining so my gpa will probably will not be a 4.0( Spring 2020: Orgo 2, Physics 2, Calc 2(taking to boost gpa not hard any my uni), Soc101. I have an option to transfer back home, and I interested in econ and somewhat interested in CS, and my state school is very highly ranked in both fields.

Basically, should I transfer back home and do cs or econ or stay premed at my current university and try my chances with getting in a MD school such as (Umiami, or MSU, Wayne State)?

Members don't see this ad.

You still have so much time...It's a bit premature to give up just based on a bad semester of grades, if medicine is something you really want. You don't need a 4.0 GPA to get in or to be competitive. You still can bounce back from this, you'll just need to learn how to succeed with your course load. I don't doubt that you worked hard, but it might be worth going to academic services and see if you can work more effectively, go to office hours, etc and try something new to see if that helps.

You're a long way from the end, almost everyone struggles at some point. It's more about overcoming that and growing from this than it is about being perfect.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that GPA is just one factor of the application, there's still many opportunities (and hurdles) to pass before you start considering a change in career, such as MCAT, ECs, etc. (again assuming this is what you really want to do)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hey
I just finished my sophomore year fall semester, and I did very bad, I got about a 3.2 gpa. My overall gpa is about 3.45 and science gpa is about 3.4.

I worked extremely hard this last semester and I was burnt out during finals and choked. So, I have been considering whether i should i even stay premed becasue I won't get into med schools(state: michigan) as i still have biochem and orgo 2 remaining so my gpa will probably will not be a 4.0( Spring 2020: Orgo 2, Physics 2, Calc 2(taking to boost gpa not hard any my uni), Soc101. I have an option to transfer back home, and I interested in econ and somewhat interested in CS, and my state school is very highly ranked in both fields.

Basically, should I transfer back home and do cs or econ or stay premed at my current university and try my chances with getting in a MD school such as (Umiami, or MSU, Wayne State)?
I worked extremely hard this last semester and I was burnt out during finals and choked.

I find your statement telling. Unless you somehow build up your endurance and grit, med school will kill you.

Hence, I consider this a sign that you find a different path.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The nadir of year-by-year GPA of most folks who end up applying to medical school is the year that they take o-chem. So, this could be the worst of it and your GPA will rise with subsequent years.

That said, >50% of those who apply to medical school are NOT admitted and that is a small proportion of the pool of students who were pre-med earlier in their academic careers but didn't go all the way to the application stage. If you decide to bale out, you will hardly be alone in that decision and there are many fine careers that are a good fit with your talents.

Reactions: 1 users
Not that you need a 4.0 to get into med school, but you should get rid of the mentality "I probably wont get a 4.0". Dude/dudette anyone is capable of getting a 4.0 if they're willing to put in the hard work. Its easier said than done, but someones gotta get a 4.0 right? Why cant that be you then?

This type of thinking will translate over to your MCAT "I probably wont get a 520+". Not that you need this score, but you want to aim high so even if you score lower you're content with the fact you gave it your all.

You have like 5 semesters left to raise your GPA up. Ideally you want a cGPA of 3.7+. Your problem seems to be that you werent able to do well during finals week since there was a lot of information given to you and you had all these exams packed into one week. Just learn better time-management and start preparing earlier.

Good luck

Reactions: 3 users