Possible Re-App

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

long

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's getting close to the end and while I'm still waiting on a couple more schools, I am starting to have to think about re-applying. I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best course of action should I not get into the few school that are left.

GPA 3.60
BCPM 3.22
MCAT BS=11 PS=11 VR=11 W=O
Major: Classics

activities:
Served a 2 year mission for my church speaking Vietnamese
taught ESL for 2 years
worked doing data entry in a bariatric surgeons doctors for about 6 months
about 36 hours shadowing a general surgeon and an ophthalmologist
worked as a translator for Vietnamese government officials
volunteered on the surgery floor of a hospital for 3 months, 2 hours a week
9 months of research working with yeast, no publications
Various odd jobs (custodian, call center, etc.)
lots of intramural athletics

My BCPM was hurt by 2 bad science grades my freshman year that I reconciled, and have had about a 3.5 BCPM since then with a general upward trend.

I applied a little late, getting AMCAS turned in around late august.

I have not had much time to do much to improve my application this past year other than finishing my major because my wife has been really busy with a master's program and I have had to be Mr. Mom part of the time. I am trying to get some more volunteering opportunities at the hospital but am not sure if it will be enough.

Should I reapply this year and just try to get my apps in earlier with the extra hospital experience, or wait another year and try to get more clinical experience, or apply to an SMP to make up for my BCPM or what?

Members don't see this ad.

Funny, I'm in a pretty similar position myself (minus the kid and a strong MCAT score). You worry about grades and I worry about my average MCAT.

If you have the resources to do an SMP, then I would probably consider doing it. I don't think your GPA is so terrible that it requires you to do an SMP but doing so would definitely make you much more competitive at higher ranked schools...I think if you got everything done early you could get into a lower-tier school next cycle but that is entirely up to you. Getting done late hurt both of us this cycle. Taking a year off definitely wouldn't hurt your chances so I'd lean more towards that and solidify your application: boost your stats and ECs. Maybe a clinically-oriented job in the right place would be just as beneficial too. If you are lucky enough to find a good job now it would be a big plus to your application in the next cycle.

One issue you will need to be aware of is that your MCAT score will expire depending on when you took it and if schools will accept it in 2011 (I think its a 2 year limit now, maybe?). Good luck.

Last edited:
It's getting close to the end and while I'm still waiting on a couple more schools, I am starting to have to think about re-applying. I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best course of action should I not get into the few school that are left.

GPA 3.60
BCPM 3.22
MCAT BS=11 PS=11 VR=11 W=O
Major: Classics

activities:
Served a 2 year mission for my church speaking Vietnamese
taught ESL for 2 years
worked doing data entry in a bariatric surgeons doctors for about 6 months
about 36 hours shadowing a general surgeon and an ophthalmologist
worked as a translator for Vietnamese government officials
volunteered on the surgery floor of a hospital for 3 months, 2 hours a week
9 months of research working with yeast, no publications
Various odd jobs (custodian, call center, etc.)
lots of intramural athletics

My BCPM was hurt by 2 bad science grades my freshman year that I reconciled, and have had about a 3.5 BCPM since then with a general upward trend.

I applied a little late, getting AMCAS turned in around late august.

I have not had much time to do much to improve my application this past year other than finishing my major because my wife has been really busy with a master's program and I have had to be Mr. Mom part of the time. I am trying to get some more volunteering opportunities at the hospital but am not sure if it will be enough.

Should I reapply this year and just try to get my apps in earlier with the extra hospital experience, or wait another year and try to get more clinical experience, or apply to an SMP to make up for my BCPM or what?

Your numbers are similar to mine, except yours a bit better. I also had to play Mr. Mom so I totally understand your plight. I did two things different when I reapplied. The most important was rewrite my PS and apply as soon as possible. Also, not sure if this is possible for you, but I contacted the med school nearest to me about getting involved in some clinical research. I was surprised at how quickly they got back to me and I spent the summer doing clinical research which I found enjoyable and gave me a lot more to talk about during interviews. I also got an additional LOR in the process. I would contact schools and ask which areas you can improve in order to be successful.

Hopefully you get in and can forget this so you can save time, stress and money!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt read any of the replies, but I think the main thing would be to get your apps in earlier. If anything else, maybe a clinically relevant job.

I think you need to get in more long term EC's 36 hours of shadowing isnt much, thats not even a week and 3 months of hosptial volunteer is an awkward amt of time, why so short?! I think you need to be involved in something whether medical related or not and plan on being involved for at least a year. Also, get in more shadowing, I'd say try to aim for like 75 hours total.

I think you need to get in more long term EC's 36 hours of shadowing isnt much, thats not even a week and 3 months of hosptial volunteer is an awkward amt of time, why so short?! I think you need to be involved in something whether medical related or not and plan on being involved for at least a year. Also, get in more shadowing, I'd say try to aim for like 75 hours total.

3 things hurting you
-not enough volunteer hours (see above)
-lower science GPA
-probably applied too late.

It must be hard with a baby, but you need to get some more clinical hours/volunteer hours. Make sure you reapply before that MCAT expires, too.