Possible reapplicant, please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgfering

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I truly need help in what to do from now. I am a current applicant with 2 MCAT attempts (492, 502) who only applied to 4 schools this cycle (MD schools) for the sole reason that I meet their minimum requirements criteria, but I have not heard from any of them. Given the consensus, I would like to prepare for reapplying the next cycle.

A little bit about myself:

26 y/o male, non-traditional, Hispanic (1st generation immigrant, GC holder), with foreign bachelor's degree (Equivalence by WES; I attached an equivalence done by a different company, so you can have an idea of my coursework) and 3.45 GPA.

I am currently taking undergrad post-bacc classes at my local CC (WY resident for ~3 years who does not qualify for WWAMI), these classes include: General Psychology, 3 semesters of Math (1 semester of college algebra) and a GPA of 4.0 so far.

Since most schools require applicants to have completed ~90 credit hours at an US institution or have an US/Canadian bachelor's degree, I was wondering what would be the best route in order to get accepted the next cycle?. Keep the kind-of-DIY at my local CC? Where I am planning to take Physics l & ll, General Chem l & ll, Organic Chem l & ll (probs a couple more??). Or do a formal Master's program (Preferably an online one given my location and current full-time employment).

A glance on my EC's:

~1000 hours of Research,
co-author on published paper at home country undergraduate institution (included in foreign transcripts).
~70 hours food bank volunteer, ~20 hours Boys and Girls Club Volunteer.
~7000 hours paid clinical experience
, 1 year in Venezuela, ~3 years in the US. Direct patient interaction, working alongside doctors (Mainly Pathologist, also Pulm/CC, Interventional Radiologist, General Surgeons, Endocrinologists).
5 Individual LOR's (2 pathologists, 3 Interventional Radiologists), 1 Faculty professor LOR (Math Professor).
A few more of EC's, but done at home country. So I do not think they're worth mentioning, but they include: Gathering of food and toys for the elderly in nursing homes and kids who are in orphanages. Visiting hospitalized kids with cancer or terminal disease to provide entertainment, etc.
Completed 1 year of medical school in Venezuela, dropped out upon moving to the US.

I understand my situation is extremely complex and unusual. However, I'd appreciate any help or advice on where to go from here. I understand that an MCAT retake will be necessary, but I'd like an idea on how to improve my coursework in order to apply to a wider array of schools and increase my chances of admission.

Thank you greatly, please feel free to include any critique or advice, they will be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to work on meeting the actual criteria for schools if you only met criteria for four MD schools.

-You need 2 science, 1 non-science LORs.

-you should make sure your courses count.

-I dont know how matriculation at medical school in venezuela will look. @Goro often days previous matriculations are DOA but who wants to stay in venezuela?

You need to be able to apply to more than four schools. With MCAT retakes consider like 35+ and start looking into Osteopathic programs. Four schools with a bad MCAT won't cut it.

Very sorry for the situation you're in. Reapplying sucks and having to drop out of medical school once must have been devastating.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey @Osteosaur I appreciate your input. I was wondering if keeping the DIY route at my local CC will at least give me a better chance, or should I look into an online SMP/Post-bacc Premed program? Is there any other course you suggest in order to make my application more competitive?. Physicians I have interacted with say that if I attend a DO school I will not make it to my preferred specialty (Interventional Radiology), hence I favor MD schools.

Please @Goro feel free to add any input, it will be highly appreciated. You guys make navigating this path more sustainable, I truly appreciate your support.

Also, I have attached a copy of my transcripts evaluation, so you guys have an idea of my coursework (That does not include 1st year of medical school in Venezuela, which includes biostats, anatomy, histology/embriology, psychology and physiology).

Attachments

• Equivalence2.jpg
    Equivalence2.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 76
  • Equivalence1.jpg
    Equivalence1.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 71
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @Osteosaur I appreciate your input. I was wondering if keeping the DIY route at my local CC will at least give me a better chance, or should I look into an online SMP/Post-bacc Premed program? Is there any other course you suggest in order to make my application more competitive?. Physicians I have interacted with say that if I attend a DO school I will not make it to my preferred specialty (Interventional Radiology), hence I favor MD schools.

Please @Goro feel free to add any input, it will be highly appreciated. You guys make navigating this path more sustainable, I truly appreciate your support.

Also, I have attached a copy of my transcripts evaluation, so you guys have an idea of my coursework (That does not include 1st year of medical school in Venezuela, which includes biostats, anatomy, histology/embriology, psychology and physiology).
Second-time (accepted!) applicant here, also with an undergrad degree completed outside the USA. Things I did differently this time:

1. Contacted admissions teams early in the year at *every* school within my stats range to ensure my prerequisite classes would meet their requirements. This also helped establish a rapport and was an opportunity to enquire about mission fit & culture.
2. Applied broadly to MD *and* DO (chances are I'll change my mind about specialty anyway, so may as well just give myself every opportunity to become a doctor, also after looking at residency placements from specific DO schools any concern I had was gone)
3. Increased my clinical experience and research experience (I felt these were two improvement areas for me personally)

Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Second-time (accepted!) applicant here, also with an undergrad degree completed outside the USA. Things I did differently this time:

1. Contacted admissions teams early in the year at *every* school within my stats range to ensure my prerequisite classes would meet their requirements. This also helped establish a rapport and was an opportunity to enquire about mission fit & culture.
2. Applied broadly to MD *and* DO (chances are I'll change my mind about specialty anyway, so may as well just give myself every opportunity to become a doctor, also after looking at residency placements from specific DO schools any concern I had was gone)
3. Increased my clinical experience and research experience (I felt these were two improvement areas for me personally)

Good luck!!
Awesome! Congratulations!!! Can I ask you a few questions? If you're ok with it, we can PM. I want to know what did you look for in schools, what schools did you apply to, what courses did you take in the US, and what response did you get from schools in the cycle (MD and DO). I would truly appreciate your input since your experience is similar to mine! Congrats again!!!

Roger that! Yeah, what I've been reading is that the way to go is to take the pre reqs at my local CC. I can not afford going to a 4 year institution, that would literally mean quitting my full-time job, relocating, etc. Thanks for the info and perspective, and good luck in all of your endeavors!

Awesome! Congratulations!!! Can I ask you a few questions? If you're ok with it, we can PM. I want to know what did you look for in schools,
Thanks! I looked for mission fit, and an average MCAT within a few points of my score. My MCAT was different to yours so your school list would be too. Generally what I found is that private MD schools and most DO schools are open to applicants who hold foreign degrees.
what schools did you apply to,
I applied to 25 schools (12 DO, 13 MD) that fit the above criteria and had confirmed via email they would be willing to read my application. I can't emphasize enough how important it was for me to get organized early and contact an individual on the admissions team from each school.
what courses did you take in the US,
None. All completed overseas (English-speaking country). But I did a graduate degree (non-science) here in the USA.
and what response did you get from schools in the cycle (MD and DO).
So far: 3 II, 1 A, 3R (pre-interview).
I would truly appreciate your input since your experience is similar to mine! Congrats again!!!
Thanks and all the best!!!

Thanks! I looked for mission fit, and an average MCAT within a few points of my score. My MCAT was different to yours so your school list would be too. Generally what I found is that private MD schools and most DO schools are open to applicants who hold foreign degrees.

I applied to 25 schools (12 DO, 13 MD) that fit the above criteria and had confirmed via email they would be willing to read my application. I can't emphasize enough how important it was for me to get organized early and contact an individual on the admissions team from each school.

None. All completed overseas (English-speaking country). But I did a graduate degree (non-science) here in the USA.

So far: 3 II, 1 A, 3R (pre-interview).

Thanks and all the best!!!
Excellent! Do you mind if I ask what type of graduate degree did you get?.

You need to work on meeting the actual criteria for schools if you only met criteria for four MD schools.

-You need 2 science, 1 non-science LORs.

-you should make sure your courses count.

-I dont know how matriculation at medical school in venezuela will look. @Goro often days previous matriculations are DOA but who wants to stay in venezuela?

You need to be able to apply to more than four schools. With MCAT retakes consider like 35+ and start looking into Osteopathic programs. Four schools with a bad MCAT won't cut it.

Very sorry for the situation you're in. Reapplying sucks and having to drop out of medical school once must have been devastating.
While previous matriculants have a much harder time getting in, I know 2 previous matriculants who have been accepted this cycle and 1 physician who got back into medical school after failing out. Follow the other advice here, but please don't count yourself out entirely!

While previous matriculants have a much harder time getting in, I know 2 previous matriculants who have been accepted this cycle and 1 physician who got back into medical school after failing out. Follow the other advice here, but please don't count yourself out entirely!
Thank you so much for the insight. At some point I was wondering whether it was worth mentioning or not that I previously attended medical school (even though it's in a foreign country, and the reasons why I dropped out have nothing to do with academic performance but rather sociopolitical issues).

Thank you so much for the insight. At some point I was wondering whether it was worth mentioning or not that I previously attended medical school (even though it's in a foreign country, and the reasons why I dropped out have nothing to do with academic performance but rather sociopolitical issues).
The applications will ask, and so will many interviews, so just have that answer ready. It could hold you back some, but you AREN'T DOA everywhere.

The applications will ask, and so will many interviews, so just have that answer ready. It could hold you back some, but you AREN'T DOA everywhere.
That makes sense! Thank you so much for your contribution, I am truly grateful!