Possible Reapplicant - What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reaction mechanisms

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently sitting on 3 WL and have began preparing my application for EY2020. I need help formulating a plan for this upcoming cycle if not accepted from one of the 3 WL. My stats are:

• 3.82 GPA
  • 504 MCAT (127/124/126/127)
  • 40 hours shadowing in pediatrics and ob/gyn
  • 100 hours hospital volunteering
  • Medical assistant employment - over 600 hours
  • Patient care coordinator employment - approx 2000 hours
  • 2 semesters laboratory instructional assistant
  • 50 hours volunteering at local homeless shelter
  • TX resident applied to all instate schools
  • First generation college graduate

I know my MCAT score is low but I'm worried about a retake. I'm not sure if I have it in me. I work full time and have a 5 year old so it's been a challenge for me to get enough study hours in. Should I suck it up and try for a retake or just reapply, adding DO schools, with my current MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently sitting on 3 WL ... 3.82 GPA ... 504 MCAT (127/124/126/127) ... 40 hours shadowing ... 100 hours hospital volunteering, 50 hours homeless shelter volunteering ... Medical assistant - over 600 hours. Patient care coordinator - approx 2000 hours. 2 semesters LA ... First generation college graduate. I'm worried about a retake. Should I suck it up and try for a retake or just reapply, adding DO schools, with my current MCAT?
You only need one of those waitlists to turn into an A, and we're still early in the waitlist phase of the cycle. Did you apply to any OOS schools? Regardless, it would be prudent to start preparing now as if you needed to reapply. Rewrite your essays, continue to bulk up your non-clinical volunteering hours, be prepared to apply early and broadly, and you should find success this coming cycle (DO schools - likely; MD schools - maybe). Prior to applying DO, make sure that you're truly okay with DO and won't start one of the +pity+"I got accepted to DO but really it was always 'MD or bust'" threads. Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
I’d consider taking at least a few grad level classes so you can get a great letter of rec. That’s what I did to avoid having to retake the MCAT. If I were you I’d also definitely consider applying DO simply because they can be at the minimum a decent backup plan or interview practice.

You only need one of those waitlists to turn into an A, and we're still early in the waitlist phase of the cycle. Did you apply to any OOS schools? Regardless, it would be prudent to start preparing now as if you need to reapply. Rewrite your essays, continue to bulk up your non-clinical volunteering hours, be prepared to apply early and broadly, and you should find success this coming cycle (DO schools - likely; MD schools - maybe). Prior to applying DO, make sure that you're truly okay with DO and won't start one of the +pity+"I got accepted to DO but really it was always 'MD or bust'" threads. Best of luck

I applied to 20 out of state schools despite being warned of how OOS schools view Texas applicants. My AMCAS app was free for 20 schools through the FAP so I went for it. I was writing secondaries like a mad man and didn't receive a single OOS II. Lesson learned.

I would be more than okay with a DO acceptance. One of the WL I'm on is for a DO school.

Reactions: 1 user