Possible Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illenium95

Reaction score
This cycle I applied to 4 MD schools and just received my first rejection from my state school. I currently still have 1 interview left and 1 interview hold, so there is still hope. I'm trying to decide if I should reapply next cycle and apply to 20+ MD schools and DO schools, or apply to DO schools now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stats:
URM (AA male)
Slightly non trad, just finished a post bac 2 years after my bachelors.
cGPA:3.91 sGPA: 3.92
MCAT: 509 127/125/127/130
Clincial Experience: 50 hours hospice, 150 Emergency room
Shadowing: 50 hours
Nonclinical Volunteering: 100 hours in a thrift store.
Tutored for 1 year.

Members don't see this ad.

This cycle I applied to 4 MD schools and just received my first rejection from my state school. I currently still have 1 interview left and 1 interview hold, so there is still hope. I'm trying to decide if I should reapply next cycle and apply to 20+ MD schools and DO schools, or apply to DO schools now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stats:
URM (AA male)
Slightly non trad, just finished a post bac 2 years after my bachelors.
cGPA:3.91 sGPA: 3.92
MCAT: 509 127/125/127/130
Clincial Experience: 50 hours hospice, 150 Emergency room
Nonclinical Volunteering: 100 hours in a thrift store.
Tutored for 1 year.
wait and see, the cycle is far from over.
Why only 4 schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
wait and see, the cycle is far from over.
Why only 4 schools?
Money and I applied pretty late in the cycle (September) and was told that for most private schools you have to apply early.

I wouldn't give up yet. Your stats are strong and you have at least one interview. Find someone to practice interviewing with, perhaps through your undergrad or post-bacc programs, and work to do well with the one shot you have. I only had one interview, and I got in, so it happens. Also, some schools may still accept applications until Dec 1 or so. You should look into which are still open to applications and contact them when you apply. Yes, everyone here will tell you it's apply early or never, and while that is true to an extent because interview spots fill up, it is not a hard and fast rule. Those schools will look at your app. Good luck!

You only need one interview to get an acceptance, but only applying to 4 schools and applying late isn't the strongest move. Tell the schools you interview at that you really want to go there. Make sure you have something lined up for the next year to continue getting good experience and making money to apply to more schools if you end up being a reapp.