Possible to consolidate 10k credit card debt with student loans?I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momo333

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergraduate junior & will probably have $10000 of credit card debt before applying to Dental School & GradPlus loans. I just lost my job & probably will have a declining credit score in 3 months. Is it possible to consolidate that debt into my school loans, so I save my score or any other ideas anyone else has experienced?

Members don't see this ad.

You can't consolidate consumer debt (credit cards, car loans) into a loan that is deferrable during school, which I think is what you're asking. Consumer debt is a disaster, if you want to go to med/dent/etc school.

Take action now to protect your credit score. Make payments on time, no matter what. That is much more important than starting dental school "on time". If you tank your credit score, you can't get federal GradPlus loans, which likely means you can't complete dental school.

You very simply have to pay that $10k off before you start school, unless you have savings, parents with money, or military support or similar.

Best of luck to you.

You can't consolidate consumer debt (credit cards, car loans) into a loan that is deferrable during school, which I think is what you're asking. Consumer debt is a disaster, if you want to go to med/dent/etc school.

Take action now to protect your credit score. Make payments on time, no matter what. That is much more important than starting dental school "on time". If you tank your credit score, you can't get federal GradPlus loans, which likely means you can't complete dental school.

You very simply have to pay that $10k off before you start school, unless you have savings, parents with money, or military support or similar.

Best of luck to you.

:thumbup: I very strongly agree with this advice. OP--don't let that consumer debt follow you. One or two thousand is small enough that you could conceivably pay it off by maxing out on your federal loans and living cheaply (though you're really not supposed to pay off consumer debt with your student loans...), but $10,000 is a whole other beast. Take on whatever job you can find, live as far below your means as is possible (live with your parents if you can--that'll potentially save $10,000/yr right there depending on where you live). If you can't, find a roommate. Or two roommates.