Possible to defer for 3 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qqq

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I know a lot of people defer for a year, but I was wondering if it is possible to defer for 3 years. I have a military commitment and got initial approval to apply from the military but now it seems as that approval may be rescinded, so I'm wondering if I write to the school I got accepted to and explain my situation if they'll let me enter in 2008 when I'm out of the military. I don't want to take the mcat again and apply all over again!

Members don't see this ad.

Why not use your acceptence letter to qualify for the armed forces health services? Two birds w/ one stone....

qqq said:
Hi,
I know a lot of people defer for a year, but I was wondering if it is possible to defer for 3 years. I have a military commitment and got initial approval to apply from the military but now it seems as that approval may be rescinded, so I'm wondering if I write to the school I got accepted to and explain my situation if they'll let me enter in 2008 when I'm out of the military. I don't want to take the mcat again and apply all over again!

AStudent said:
Why not use your acceptence letter to qualify for the armed forces health services? Two birds w/ one stone....

what is likely to happen is that my unit won't let me leave period. I have to stay in my current position.

so does anyone out there think med schools might defer my admissions for 3 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
qqq said:
what is likely to happen is that my unit won't let me leave period. I have to stay in my current position.

so does anyone out there think med schools might defer my admissions for 3 years?

Wouldn't it make more sense to ask the schools in question directly?

curiouslygeorge said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to ask the schools in question directly?

it's the wknd man, give him a break

I would hope they would be wiling to do so especially considering the predicament; im sure the school can easily fill the seat but i guess there may be logistical issues involved; good thing you got in before you found out you have to go back in; good luck

I have never heard of a 3 yr hold, seems long, but won't hurt to ask. PM Moosepilot, he is a military pilot going through similiar problems.

Termwean said:
I have never heard of a 3 yr hold, seems long, but won't hurt to ask. PM Moosepilot, he is a military pilot going through similiar problems.

Thanks guys, I am going to contact the schools. I hope it works out as I have a legitimate reason. :D Otherwise I may be browsing this forum for a few years to come :(

qqq said:
Hi,

I think that the Medical school that accepted you has to allow you to defer for 3 years because of your service commitment to the military. They can't take your acceptance away because you are doing service. It's like a long personal leave of absense.

Have your CO write a letter to the schools and deal with the issue in writing and see what they say.

I wish you the best of luck. :luck:

icebrat001 said:
I think that the Medical school that accepted you has to allow you to defer for 3 years because of your service commitment to the military. They can't take your acceptance away because you are doing service. It's like a long personal leave of absense.

Have your CO write a letter to the schools and deal with the issue in writing and see what they say.

I wish you the best of luck. :luck:

There are definitely laws that restrict employers from firing employees based on military service. I wonder if they extend to med/grad school acceptances? Interesting advice.

Tiddly of Winks said:
There are definitely laws that restrict employers from firing employees based on military service. I wonder if they extend to med/grad school acceptances? Interesting advice.

thanks for the advice guys. I can see it going either way. Really, I don't think the med school owes me anything since I haven't matriculated yet. But hopefully they'll be able to understand. I'll see how it goes and post again when it's all said and done.