Possible to reapply, then start DO, then switch schools if accepted to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VentricularHypertrophy

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I was accepted to a DO school that starts this August but got rejected from all the MD schools I applied to. I took the MCAT April 1st 2017. I am considering reapplying to MD schools that accept 4 year old MCAT scores this cycle. Because I have no idea if I would get in this time, I would start at the DO school this August. On AMCAS, I could answer no to the previous matriculation question because I have not yet attended classes at the DO school. If I get accepted to an MD school, I would switch schools. Could I do this in theory, assuming I were willing to waste the first semester's worth of tuition at the DO school? What could go wrong? Would schools be able to "see" my previous acceptance / current enrollment during interview season?

Bonus: anyone happen to know of any med schools that will accept an April 2017 MCAT for this 2020-2021 cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I was accepted to a DO school that starts this August but got rejected from all the MD schools I applied to. I took the MCAT April 1st 2017. I am considering reapplying to MD schools that accept 4 year old MCAT scores this cycle. Because I have no idea if I would get in this time, I would start at the DO school this August. On AMCAS, I could answer no to the previous matriculation question because I have not yet attended classes at the DO school. If I get accepted to an MD school, I would switch schools. Could I do this in theory, assuming I were willing to waste the first semester's worth of tuition at the DO school? What could go wrong? Would schools be able to "see" my previous acceptance / current enrollment during interview season?

Bonus: anyone happen to know of any med schools that will accept an April 2017 MCAT for this 2020-2021 cycle?

Why'd you apply to DO schools? Why would you cost someone else a seat that wants to go down the DO path? I would drop the acceptance, reevaluate your goals, do some maturing, and then come back to decide if you even want to be a physician to begin with.

EDIT: Not trying to ruin your day, but please realize what you're saying. If you seriously don't want to be a DO don't waste their time or your own or the unfortunate person who wouldn't get to take that seat if you follow through with this. Take the gap and pursue MD. Realize an acceptance is not a right, it is a privilege no matter how hard you worked, it was a privilege that they trust you to become not only a great student but a great physician.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

Many secondaries ask if you have ever been accepted?

You are going to be entering a profession that values honesty and professionalism.

But yet you are going to hide a portion of your academic past while you apply and even during on the interview trail. This is not a very good start or mindset to have for one who is hoping to enter such a profession.

I've yet to hear of any MD school that accepts four year old MCAT scores. The typical expiration date is 3 years.

If You couldn't get into an MD school in the previous application cycle, why do you think things will be magically be different in the next cycle?

I Strongly suggest that you give up your acceptance, because you do not wish to be a DO. I would rather see your seat go to somebody who wants to be a doctor right now. Work on your application and prove it so then you will be more competitive for MD schools

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And you'd be basing your answer on the AMCAS primary about previous matriculations on an extremely thin technicality, even if AMCAS doesn't explicitly state not to do exactly what you're trying.

What could go wrong: You're gambling that no one higher-up finds out, disproves, and yanks any possible MD accept, even after matriculation. Imagine what you'd do then, having started both DO and MD schools before dropping/being kicked out?

Not even addressing the probability of future MD accept and lack of integrity issue here, why on earth would an MD degree be worth that gamble?

Think long and hard about your goals!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
ask for deference, decline, or just go. DO is awesome. stop letting people make you feel that the DO route is a death sentence.

Yup. These people make life miserable for my DO faculty colleagues.
Do you mind if I ask how? Are students just unwilling to acknowledge the relevance of OMM in classes? Is it a lack of respect for the DO faculty?

Yes and yes. They also manifest more depression as they feel they had to "settle" for DO.
Thanks, this insight is helpful. I would imagine your nontraditional students faring better than their traditional counterparts. At least in terms of resilience in medical school, if not academically.

With some real life experience, I feel that one understands that you can't always have what you want just because you want it.

Reactions: 1 user

Congratulations on winding up the group with what is obviously a very trolly post. You just created your account today and this is your first post (and a very provocative one at that!), even though you have just gone through a cycle, not having any questions or needing any advice at all, until now, when you come here with the very, extremely unethical and stupid idea of starting DO school while reapplying to MD schools with an expired MCAT (for the record, and it's very easy to look up, 4/1/17 -- April Fools Day -- was not a valid MCAT test date -- very sloppy!!!) after just striking out. Nice job. :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Congratulations on winding up the group with what is obviously a very trolly post. You just created your account today and this is your first post (and a very provocative one at that!), even though you have just gone through a cycle, not having any questions or needing any advice at all, until now, when you come here with the very, extremely unethical and stupid idea of starting DO school while reapplying to MD schools with an expired MCAT (for the record, and it's very easy to look up, 4/1/17 -- April Fools Day -- was not a valid MCAT test date -- very sloppy!!!) after just striking out. Nice job. :laugh:

I'm an idiot, I should drop out and reevaluate my goals. :smack: :bang:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m going to assume this isn’t a troll post and I’ll bite, because we have in fact had people seriously ask similar questions before:

This is a dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb idea. I will list the reasons for that out:
1) Assuming everything goes exactly as you plan, the absolute best-case scenario, you’re still out $40k+ in tuition, moving costs, rent, etc. for the year you spent at the DO school.
2) If the DO school found out, I do not think it would be beyond them to dismiss you from the school.
3) If the MD school found out, and you were accepted, I do not think it would be beyond them to dismiss you from the school.
4) You will most absolutely be blacklisted from DO schools, and any MD school that finds out you matriculated (which could very well be all of them - google “National Student Clearinghouse”) will not treat you favorably.
5) There is no guarantee you’ll get in this time, especially if you had a significant struggle this cycle. If you had multiple MD interviews, I take that back. I actually didn’t read your first post.

Honestly dude, if you’re boning this hard for an MD, just go to the Caribbean.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I really appreciate y’all’s input on this.

So to clarify, do schools check what schools you’ve attended with the National Clearing House when you matriculate? So if I got accepted to an MD school, they would see I had taken out loans at the DO school?

What if I were able to defer the DO offer and reapply? That would avoid that problem, right?

I really appreciate y’all’s input on this.

So to clarify, do schools check what schools you’ve attended with the National Clearing House when you matriculate? So if I got accepted to an MD school, they would see I had taken out loans at the DO school?

What if I were able to defer the DO offer and reapply? That would avoid that problem, right?
Yeah, they’d find out that way. This is also how people get caught not submitting all transcripts of schools they’ve enrolled at.

Possibly. However, this is also unethical as what would your “reason” to defer be? Also, from my understanding, you defer and agree to not apply during your off time.

I don’t see this ever working out in your favor...you’re gonna get caught.

Just withdraw and reapply MD if it matters that much to you.

And the moment your start attending you would need to update all schools you applied to of this change.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Do you mind if I ask how? Are students just unwilling to acknowledge the relevance of OMM in classes? Is it a lack of respect for the DO faculty?
Not at all. It's easy to see who has studied, who is trying to take shortcuts, and who has not bothered to put in the time to learn anything. It's this last group that is the most frustrating. It appears their attitude is you cant flunk all of us. Well, our Chairman is very strict and has no problem flunking as many as deserve it. These students end up with a course failure, and remediation, sometimes over the summer, and possibly graduating out of synch. These are red flags for residencies. We tell students this and yet they dont seem to believe us. The majority of students are able to learn the material to our standards, but there is always a handful, around 10% , who think they dont need to learn OMM. Usually, with some nudging, about half get their act together, but I would say we avg about 5 % remediation for course failure. If you are smart enough to get in to med school, you are smart enough to learn and pass OMM. This is where I get frustrated at times.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
And the moment your start attending you would need to update all schools you applied to of this change.

1. If I didn’t update them, how would they find out? From the National Student Clearing House past enrollment verification at matriculation?

2. How could they find out if I got a deferment at the DO school, reapplied, and then dropped the DO acceptance next year?

• Inappropriate
I think it has been mentioned many times before that most deferment agreements are conditional on the fact that you will not reapply during your deferment but I’m not sure. You’re not Hackerman, trust me. Just don’t

Just stop. What you’re proposing is absolutely a dick thing to do, unethical to say the least, and most likely a huge waste of money. As a reapplicant, I get the urge to try again when you were close enough to taste the waitlist.. wait upon rereading, you didn’t even make the waitlist. What makes you so sure things will go differently next time?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Ok... this could sound horrible but if and when you achieve your little scheme and get kicked out of the hypothetical MD school can you post about it as a warning for other people hoping to do the same?

• Love
You obviously don't want to become a physician for the right reasons so drop the DO acceptance and head off to the Caribbean. I heard a lot of good things from there such as you can get MD behind your name, beautiful beaches, and after you graduate (and saddled with overwhelming amount of student loans) you have an amazing opportunity to work as an Uber driver, employee at Wal-Mart, or a janitor at some of the Caribbean medical schools (where you can school some of the students with your impressive knowledge).

• Love
  • Haha
1. If I didn’t update them, how would they find out? From the National Student Clearing House past enrollment verification at matriculation?

2. How could they find out if I got a deferment at the DO school, reapplied, and then dropped the DO acceptance next year?

Besides the fact that you are trying to enter a profession that highly values ethics and are asking a question that, on its face, presents an intent to deceive in order to get around an rule, and are frankly shows your lack of ethics to enter such a profession, they will catch rather easily.

1. Unless you are paying for medical school out of pocket, your loan approval will show. This is precisely why the NSCH was developed: to track double dipping students. So you will be flagged rather quickly

2) You would legally violating a deferment agreement and could bar you from entering into any medical school as @xfilez pointed

And like @Sky138 noted, this isnt a worthless exercise. You can always serve as a bad example.

• Love
Besides the fact that you are trying to enter a profession that highly values ethics and are asking a question that, on its face, presents an intent to deceive in order to get around an rule, and are frankly shows your lack of ethics to enter such a profession, they will catch rather easily.

1. Unless you are paying for medical school out of pocket, your loan approval will show. This is precisely why the NSCH was developed: to track double dipping students. So you will be flagged rather quickly

2) You would legally violating a deferment agreement and could bar you from entering into any medical school as @xfilez pointed

And like @Sky138 noted, this isnt a worthless exercise. You can always serve as a bad example.

2. Ok. can you think of any realistic way that they might find out if I broke the deferment agreement not to reapply?

Just try it and let us know which method they use

Reactions: 4 users
2. Ok. can you think of any realistic way that they might find out if I broke the deferment agreement not to reapply?
Having been told that what you are doing is, at best, breaking a contract and now you want me to assist in helping you find a way to do that, now edging into possible fraud and conspiracy? Do you fully understand the responsibility of being a physician? If you didnt want to go to DO why did you apply? And what does this say about your judgement? your commitment?

Lets suppose for a moment you could make this scheme work, that you go to DO school and then get accepted to MD school for next term. So what are you going to do when the MD school REQUIRES all transcripts and that you FOUND via NSCH? Do you realize that you likely have your acceptance rescinded and possibly reported to AMCAS as ethical violation? Do you realize just how big a bone-headed, career-killing, hyper-idiotic move this would be?

Tell you what, you got right ahead with your scheme and then find yourself spending the next 40 years of your life wondering how you could have been so stupid in losing your chance to be a doctor.

• Love
Having been told that what you are doing is, at best, breaking a contract and now you want me to assist in helping you find a way to do that, now edging into possible fraud and conspiracy? Do you fully understand the responsibility of being a physician? If you didnt want to go to DO why did you apply? And what does this say about your judgement? your commitment?

Lets suppose for a moment you could make this scheme work, that you go to DO school and then get accepted to MD school for next term. So what are you going to do when the MD school REQUIRES all transcripts and that you FOUND via NSCH? Do you realize that you likely have your acceptance rescinded and possibly reported to AMCAS as ethical violation? Do you realize just how big a bone-headed, career-killing, hyper-idiotic move this would be?

Tell you what, you got right ahead with your scheme and then find yourself spending the next 40 years of your life wondering how you could have been so stupid in losing your chance to be a doctor.

To clarify, I’m asking how they might find out if I deferred the DO acceptance, reapplied, and then dropped the deferred DO acceptance next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.