Possible to study for mcat without classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AestheticGod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering from a discussion i had with a friend.

I think that it's highly possible for someone to start studying for the mcat or even take the mcat, even if they haven't taken any classes in a college room setting. The student will basically learn his chemistry, physics, calculus, and biology from online videos that are similar to class teachings. Is such a thing not possible?

Example of online videos:khan academy, course savers(chad's videos on physics and chemistry).

Members don't see this ad.

It is definitely possible, but what's the point of studying for it without taking the classes? I mean the classes are only required..........

It is definitely possible, but what's the point of studying for it without taking the classes? I mean the classes are only required..........

Sorry, I should have written on the thread name as "Is it possible to study for the mcat while learning everything from online videos?"

I wanted to know if it's possible to learn everything from the internet database (basically for someone who has too much time :/ ) and still get a 30+ on the mcat, even he never physically step foot in a college chemistry class

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure it's possible, if you have the self discipline to avoid all the social networking of Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, Tumblr, or what have you. This includes random websites like BBC, CNN, or whatever.

I guess I'm skeptical. Why would you want to study without having taken the classes, especially since the classes are required for medical school (MD and DO) anyways?

Lol I'm studying physics without having taken the class. Granted, I did have a good physics background because of high school. I think for o Chem though, it would take a lot of dedication since no one knows about that class till college. And while all of this is possible, you do have to remember that you are trying to learn something by watching a 20 minute video, rather than going over it in a full 4 month semester class.

Well there are a lot of non-trads who get 30+ and they're like 5+ years away from having taken their pre-reqs. Once you're 5 or so years out from taking your classes it's pretty much the same as having not taken them at all.

"Yeah, you could do it without (taking the classes), but that don't mean it's to be done! S**t, you can drive a car with your feet if you want to, that don't make it a good f**king idea!"

-Chris Rock(slightly modified)

"yeah, you could do it without (taking the classes), but that don't mean it's to be done! S**t, you can drive a car with your feet if you want to, that don't make it a good f**king idea!"

-chris rock(slightly modified)

+1

Just wondering from a discussion i had with a friend.

I think that it's highly possible for someone to start studying for the mcat or even take the mcat, even if they haven't taken any classes in a college room setting. The student will basically learn his chemistry, physics, calculus, and biology from online videos that are similar to class teachings. Is such a thing not possible?

Example of online videos:khan academy, course savers(chad's videos on physics and chemistry).

What was your progress on this? I'm in the same boat now and curious.