Possible to work as an Anesthesiologist "Nocturnist"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usermike8500

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any attending anesthesiologists work solely at night? Perhaps taking trauma and OB call so that the day team doesn't have to mess up their sleep schedules.

I know some internists who work as "nocturnists" only at night. Their lifestyle is really appealing to me because they have all days off to raise kids at home, run errands, sleep, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Do any attending anesthesiologists work solely at night? Perhaps taking trauma and OB call so that the day team doesn't have to mess up their sleep schedules.

I know some internists who work as "nocturnists" only at night. Their lifestyle is really appealing to me because they have all days off to raise kids at home, run errands, sleep, etc.

shot me a private message.. my group would be more than willing to hire someone to cover OB at night... as our most groups I bet...

drccw

Also useful for anesthesiologists who happen to have porphyria cutanea tarda or anesthesiologist vampires (more common than previously thought).

Members don't see this ad :)
shot me a private message.. my group would be more than willing to hire someone to cover OB at night... as our most groups I bet...

drccw

Thanks for the response! I should've made it more clear that I'm just a medical student now so unfortunately I won't be able to work for another 4 years :( I was just curious to see if this sort of "night-shift only" work model would be viable.

Also useful for anesthesiologists who happen to have porphyria cutanea tarda or anesthesiologist vampires (more common than previously thought).
I once encountered a lady working at a blood bank who had unusually well developed canines. I didn't go back there again.

Reactions: 1 user