Possible to work during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSURxgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal. I really, really want to do a pharmacy residency (and a specialty residency in psych). But I also really, really want a house. I will be 30 when I get my PharmD, and I'm ready for my husband and I to start our lives already! Because resident pay is only 30,000-40,000(at best) per year, I am not going to be able to save much, especially with the amount of loans (and credit cards) I'll have to pay off. My husband is a counselor, so also, not a lot of dough coming from him, either. Do you know of anyone who has successfully worked part time in a hospital or retail staff positon while doing their residency? I'm thinking this could be a could way to help us save for our down payment during my residency.

Members don't see this ad.

When I was interviewing for residency positions, I did talk to some of the residents about that. Most did not work. One person said that he worked quite a few weekends in the beginning (retail), but the rotation he was in was making it difficult, so he had to cut back on hours. Moonlighting is doable...but it may be rotation specific. I wouldn't count on being able to work EVERY weekend, especially when there are side or longitudinal projects you have to work on (like in April-May, when you've got your research project to present).

I knew this resident who worked like 40 days straight (weekend staffing + moonlighting). It all depends on how much punishment you can take and whether or not your rotation preceptor will allow you to work elsewhere. Even so, I don't know if I'll be working much during my residency cuz I'll probably be pretty tired when I do get the rare day off. If you can handle it though, working some wouldn't be a bad idea, although it wouldn't augment your income all that much if you just work an extra one day a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a pharmacist who worked at Albertson's during her psych residency. I think she worked only Sundays.

I believe you don't have to start paying off your loans until after your residency(s).

OSURxgirl said:
Here's the deal. I really, really want to do a pharmacy residency (and a specialty residency in psych). But I also really, really want a house. I will be 30 when I get my PharmD, and I'm ready for my husband and I to start our lives already! Because resident pay is only 30,000-40,000(at best) per year, I am not going to be able to save much, especially with the amount of loans (and credit cards) I'll have to pay off. My husband is a counselor, so also, not a lot of dough coming from him, either. Do you know of anyone who has successfully worked part time in a hospital or retail staff positon while doing their residency? I'm thinking this could be a could way to help us save for our down payment during my residency.

Most people I know highly discourage working at another job during the residency. Although you may only put in 40 hrs /week at the site, you maybe working another full 40 hrs/wk on projects. 12 hrs+ per day is very common. I know I do not plan on working when I start my residency this year, I will have way too much to do already! Plus you don' t want to stretch yourself too thin at all, burn-out will come on very very fast!!! And yes, mostly you can defer your loans for that year, but not all will let you....so I would check with your lender. I know I can defer, thank god, but I would check with your lender first! Good Luck!!!

So who all are graduating this year?

A friend of mine is doing a residency and she works at a retail store one weekend a month for extra cash. I don't think she'd want any more hours than that because it would just be too much work, not enough rest/relaxation! :)

The residents at our hospital dont have time to work outside their residency. They have a lot of general projects and projects for their specific rotation in addition to staffing every other weekend without any additional days off. If possible, try not work because you'll burn yourself out before you get start working "for real."

on the other hand, if you can handle the punishment & can work like a 10 hour shift a week. thats 40 hours per month. average hourly retail pharmacist wage is about $56/hr. 56*40 = $2240/mo. * 12mo = $26880 before taxes. when you consider your residency salary will be between 30-50k, an extra 26k is not a bad supplement at all.

that is of course if you dont mind working an extra 10 hours per week or if you are able to.

I am in my 4th year with the same dilemma, worrying how I will live my first year out (espec since I am looking at residencies in DC which is uber expensive). Currently I do 40 hours per week with rotations and 20-30 hours per week of my job in addition to that. so I am working in a pharmacy 60-70 hours per week. so i am imagining that i can handle getting my butt kicked another year (or 2) doing a residency and trying to work 1 shift per week.

on the other hand, if you can handle the punishment & can work like a 10 hour shift a week. thats 40 hours per month. average hourly retail pharmacist wage is about $56/hr. 56*40 = $2240/mo. * 12mo = $26880 before taxes. when you consider your residency salary will be between 30-50k, an extra 26k is not a bad supplement at all.

that is of course if you dont mind working an extra 10 hours per week or if you are able to.

I am in my 4th year with the same dilemma, worrying how I will live my first year out (espec since I am looking at residencies in DC which is uber expensive). Currently I do 40 hours per week with rotations and 20-30 hours per week of my job in addition to that. so I am working in a pharmacy 60-70 hours per week. so i am imagining that i can handle getting my butt kicked another year (or 2) doing a residency and trying to work 1 shift per week.

Holy necrobump Batman!!

Holy necrobump Batman!!

lol i figured why not just revive this topic than start another one about the exact same thing.

i see you are a resident. do you work an extra shift at another pharmacy/ or do you moon light at your residency? about how many hours/week do you dedicate to your residency?

do you think it is possible to try & do what I mentioned of an extra shift a week?

do you work an extra shift at another pharmacy/ or do you moon light at your residency? about how many hours/week do you dedicate to your residency?

No way do I work another job. I've never tracked how many hours a week I put in, but in the 3 days I worked this week (with a short Wed) I worked 52 hours. I average 4-6 hours of sleep a night. Each residency is different, but keep in mind 10 extra hours a week might be impossible when you're barely sleeping already.

No way do I work another job. I've never tracked how many hours a week I put in, but in the 3 days I worked this week (with a short Wed) I worked 52 hours. I average 4-6 hours of sleep a night. Each residency is different, but keep in mind 10 extra hours a week might be impossible when you're barely sleeping already.

I'm in a less intense community practice residency and I have time to work a little extra. I have a job I do from home for about 5 hours/week. My residency is usually 45 to 50 hours/week so it's not that bad. I have a husband and kid who take up quite a bit of my time. I like the extra cash the second job gives me, but I don't think I'd like to work much more than that. I like my free time and rest too much.

I worked extra here and there during my residency. It's easier to do in some sites than others. Some of the VA hospitals will give you a "dual title". So you are a resident, but you are a staff pharmacist (GS-11) when you pick up extra shifts beyond your requirement. This is much easier than moonlighting at say, CVS or Walgreens.

But like others said, it was rough. After pulling some 18-20 hr days for residency (be at ICU by 4 AM to prepare for round at 6, followed by 8 hours of staffing duty that ends at 11 PM), it was hard to crawl back even for $54/hr. I would recommend do it only during the few slow times (e.g december or towards the very end)

I worked every other or every 3rd (jeez, I can't even remember) weekend at Walgreens. It was enough to help me pay my bills and that's about it. I don't think I could have worked any more than that. I was a stressed out basketcase most of the year.

I knew I was choosing an intense program this year. I definitely could have worked last year, but I was pretty unhappy with my program and used my extra time to have a social life and keep myself sane. If working is a priority, you should be able to figure out ahead of time if it is really feasible and use your time management skills to make sure you can.