Possible work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zdlamkin8195

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted run this past some current students to see what you guys think - and I know there was a similar post, but I just want some opinions on my specific situation. I have been contacted by a hospital in town to work in surgery PRN. As far as the job, my job basically would function like a sales rep (I go to surgery to monitor nerves the surgeons are working around using specific equipment/knowledge base). Pretty easy work that involves me sitting in the OR watching a screen. They seem very willing to work with me since they reached out to me out of need and know that I school is my top priority. They would prefer that I take call on one weekend per month, and work a total of 4-10 hours/month (mostly filling in on some evenings that cases go late). Without getting too specific, this could be $200-400/month during school with the added benefit of getting to work with several different surgeons/groups. The deal is great, but I do not want to put myself in a bad situation with school or hurting the staff by having to quit. It's hard to judge this myself bc I don't know what to expect during school. Any input will help. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would do it at DMU, as long as you can pick your weekend on call. DMU only ever has 20-25 hours of instruction (lecture/lab) a week. There is NO reason you couldn't work 4-10 hours per week in a job where you can't study. For those who will undoubtedly say you can't, they easily wasted that much time doing club activities, volunteering, etc. You may have to cut out some of those things but they don't really matter in the grand scheme of graduating and getting a residency.

The school does a pretty good job with calendar management and you should know a long way out when the hell weeks will be and when things will be lighter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Do many students start on research first year? I have no hx of research so I'm not sure how much I will able to get involved...

Thanks! Do many students start on research first year? I have no hx of research so I'm not sure how much I will able to get involved...

Some do but I feel like most waited until after first year or at least after first semester. I don't know when it starts, but I know some students have done the summer research program in the summer preceding their first year.

If you are considering working during school as well, I might at give it a semester before adding research as well so you can get the hang of everything.