Post Bac Advice/Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRatched

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been lurking around the forum for few weeks now. There is a ton of helpful advice on here, so kudos to all you posters.

I'm a 26 (soon to be 27) year old guy currently working as a paralegal. For a long time after college I was grappling with the idea of going to law school, for the inane yet disturbingly common reason that I had no other idea of what I should do with my life. After about a year in therapy I stopped being an idiot realized that being a physician might be my true calling, and so I've started to get materials together for applying to post-bac programs. Since I am on the older side, I would like to get my pre-medical requirements over with quickly. I've read excellent things about Goucher and Bryn Mawr and am seriously considering applying to both of them, as well as to other programs at places like Columbia, Georgetown, and Penn. The only science/math classes I had in college were Calc III and Intro to Stats, so I am a good candidate for the formal programs.

I graduated with a 3.76 GPA from a top-10 university with a degree in philosophy, and I scored 1530 on the SATs back in the day. What I have in numbers, however, I lack in ECs and volunteer experience. To put it bluntly, I have none. I am currently in the process of obtaining a volunteer position as a surgical liaison at a hospital and have emailed a thoracic surgeon who operated on me about shadowing opportunities, but at this point I have logged zero actual hours.

I am not too happy about the idea of waiting another full year until applying to a post-bac program, so a part of me wants to submit my applications now and then see what happens. I talked to Goucher's and Bryn Mawr's post-bac admissions offices, and both apparently allow you to resubmit applications without prejudice if you are rejected the first time around. I am wondering whether you all would recommend that I wait a year to get clinical experience under my belt, or apply now and see what happens.

I am aware that without any clinical experience, there is little way of actually really knowing whether I would want to become a physician, but I am hoping I could figure it out in the coming months after submitting my applications as I volunteer and shadow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply now, and apply to take the classes at your local 4-year college as a backup. You can always set up your own postbac program, and it will be cheaper than the formal programs. Unless you're applying to a formal postbac program with automatic linkage to a med school you want to attend, there isn't much advantage over a self-constructed program.

I think most of the "top" post-bacc programs, will help you find volunteering and/or research opportunities. They want you to be successful in the application process because it makes them look good.

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I might add is if you are thinking about jumping into a post bacc, try to be fairly sure that this is the path you want to pursue. Financial aid is there for post bacc, but it's not great. The process is an huge commitment because you essentially are making up for lost time. The one year program can be intense when you have to fit all your prerequisites, extracurriculars and MCAT into a year. It can be done if you manage your time well. I can't comment on formal programs but you can achieve good success for a lower price at many state schools. I would just look into what kind of advising they have, if you can get into the classes you need and whether or not they do a committee letter. Good luck!

OH and btw, 27 isn't THAT old ;)

Definitely apply now. Your stats seem good enough for at least Bryn Mawr. I mailed in my application literally on the last day of the deadline was was ultimately still accepted after being on a waitlist.

Apply now, and apply to take the classes at your local 4-year college as a backup. You can always set up your own postbac program, and it will be cheaper than the formal programs. Unless you're applying to a formal postbac program with automatic linkage to a med school you want to attend, there isn't much advantage over a self-constructed program.

^ this.

I did my own thing and this was not even mentioned once. All the adcoms care is to check the box which say "Meets requirements", So unless there is automatic linkage to med school, just take classes at your pace.

Apply to Harvard Extension's Health Careers Program. It's cheap and you aren't even close to the deadline. You could do Gen Chem this summer, and then Orgo, Bio and Physics during the year. I did that, took the DAT the following summer, and will be entering dental school this fall. Several of my friends also did the same program and will be entering top med schools in the fall as well.

My personal opinion is not to waste lots of $$ for your post-bacc. You have med school for that. A lot of these small schools charge up the wazoo for tuition and fees.

I won't view the possible extra year as a waste. I know you want to start NOW NOW NOW but the extra year of ECs would enhance your application when it comes to applying. As you mentioned, it would also help you decide if this is for you. This way when you talk/write about why you want to become a physician you can cite this additional experience.

However, if you still want to apply, I'd consider giving the programs you are interested a ring and see what their opinion is. I believe you do some misc pre-reqs (like pre-calc, calc, stats) at your local 4 year before applying to a formal program if you want do get a jump on the process.

@darkjedi do you mind me asking your stats when you applied to bryn mawr? its my top post bac choice this coming application session

@darkjedi do you mind me asking your stats when you applied to bryn mawr? its my top post bac choice this coming application session
It's been many years since I applied, so I'm not sure how different things are now. When I applied I had ~3.5 GPA w/ magna, ~2100 SAT, worked a couple years in finance, with several dozen hours shadowing a hospital doc.