Post-Bac Advice for a Motivated Student with a Low GPA

Started by browndeo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

browndeo

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! My undergraduate GPA is around a 2.5 and my science GPA is even lower. I was in a very competitive Microbiology major at a UC. I have pretty much taken all the basic science pre-reqs and completed all upper-division requirements. My science/undergraduate GPA would have been a lot higher if not for unfortunate circumstances. Anyway, could someone recommend me an excellent post-bac to help raise my undergraduate GPA? Or what course of action I should take to get myself on the right track. I have never taken the MCATs so I figure SMPs are out of the question.
 
You can go to the AAMC website (www.aamc.org) and search for post-bac programs that might fit your needs.
Have you tried doing a practice MCAT, just to see how you do?:luck:
 
I would recommend doing a post-bac. I'm certain there are programs out there, like Drexel, that don't require a minimum GPA. After you do some research into where you want to go and figure out how long it will take to get a BCOMP of >3.0 then decide when you want to take the MCAT. Most schools consider a score valid for three years, so only take it if you want to go to apply within three years of that test date.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Design your own post-bacc program!

That's what I did, picking the classes I needed at my own schedule, & completing them at my own pace. I did this at Cal State. The goal was to keep the grades at B or higher.

If you can redo some pre-req science classes again (g-chem, o-chem, physics, bio) & get them to B or higher, then the admissions committies will know that you are dedicated to academics. You should shoot for a pre-req post-bacc science GPA of 3.4 or higher, in order to be competitive for any DO or MD medical school in the USA.

Also, shoot for an MCAT range for 25-28 for DO schools, & 28-30 for the less selective MD schools.

Good luck with the application process.
 
The goal was to keep the grades at B or higher.

If you can redo some pre-req science classes again (g-chem, o-chem, physics, bio) & get them to B or higher, then the admissions committies will know that you are dedicated to academics. You should shoot for a pre-req post-bacc science GPA of 3.4 or higher, in order to be competitive for any DO or MD medical school in the USA.

Also, shoot for an MCAT range for 25-28 for DO schools, & 28-30 for the less selective MD schools.

With the rising number of applicants and competitive scores, I would suggest that the original poster shoot for much higher numbers. With a 2.5, you really need a 4.0 in post-bacc and you need to do extremely well on the MCAT to even have a shot at MD schools. MD schools are seeing applicants with 3.5 GPA & 30-31 on the MCAT, they're not going to take a 2.5/30 over that. I don't know details on DO schools, but if you're serious about medicine you really have no excuse not to bust your butt and get a 4.0 in your post-bacc.

There are applicants with 3.0's & 40's on the MCAT that aren't getting in to any med schools - it's rough out there.