Post Bac/Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdgenerationMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am going to be a senior this coming fall majoring in Finance. Last year I decided I want to go to med school, as after working in the Financial Industry for a year I decided it wasn't for me. My parents are both physicians as well as my grandfather (my father’s father), so it is sort of the family craft. I began to focus more on school and really made some improvements my last three semesters earning a 3.3, 3.75, 4.0 respectively. As you can see my GPA is upward trending and I believe I could be a good candidate for a career changer post bac. The problem is I am finding it difficult to determine which programs I am competitive for. Also another issue that is arising is that I have already taken Gen Chem 1 and 2 as well as Bio 1. It seems for some programs that is too many sciences classes to be eligible for a career changer which is ridiculous because it is less than 50%. Not to mention that with the new MCAT I could substitute these classes in for Intro to psychology or something along those lines. Another thing too is that the Gen Chem class I took was a freshman requirement for non-science majors and also did not have a lab so I believe I would need to retake it anyway. Regardless, I'll give you guys some of my stats and maybe you could point me to some Postbac that are in my wheelhouse (I'm competitive for acceptance).

Cumulative GPA: 3.3
Science GPA: 3.4/3.5
SAT: 1890 (writing was my worst section I believe I got a high 600s or low 700s in Critical reading and math)
Volunteer experience in recovery floor at an orthopedic hospital, as well as various random volunteer activities most likely 100 hours+
Two 6-month internships at prestigious banks working in Fixed income trading
8 hours of Shadowing an ER physician ...can easily get more if need be
2 LOR from distinguished professors (one who teaches at tufts medical school)

Please let me know what programs you think I may be competitive for. So far I really like the UVM and Temple programs but they seem like they are very competitive.

Thanks Guys,

John

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.