Post-bac at SUNY Stony Brook

Started by Ellie08
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ellie08

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone!

I am looking for any current information you have on the post-bacc program at Stony Brook, such as medical admission statistics, what you thought of the program, or what you have heard about it. I can't find much info. on it so anything will help.

I am looking for a place to enhance my G.P.A. as I have taken most pre-reqs. I am a non-traditional applicant to be (30 yrs. old), majored in chemical engineering and went to law school. I should have went to medical school instead but no regrets (I learned a lot with all this.)

Thanks in advance!

Ellie
 
I attended SB as a second degree student, unofficial post-bac. Also non-traditional (I'm 29.) I already had all my pre-med requirements but only the minimum as my first major was in psychology from Boston U. I needed to boost my science GPA and liked the price of SB. I got my BA in Biology in only 3 semesters but the downside is it wasn't really enough to boost my GPA all that much. I applied to 23 schools this cycle and am contemplating Ross at this point. I know that SB med does hold several spots for students do the entire post-bac program although I wasn't able to apply. Clinical exposure is good. I volunteered and now work in the Dept of Neurology (doing clinical research, Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis.) There is also a clinical research program in the ER that take undergrads and post-bacs and is a great way to spend time and get clinical exposure through research. James Montren, the pre-med advisor is pretty good and I liked my classes and professors (except for physics). I would recommend the program. Feel free to PM me or post if you have more specific questions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the info! I am interested in neurology actually so I am definitely interested in how you got your position. Is it possible to get a position there as a volunteer starting in September? How do you compare the class difficult with BU?
 
One note - As it states on their website, the "linkage" program to their med school is not for the students who have entered with intention of improving their undergrad GPAs. It's for those with a good undergrad record to begin with but didn't have the pre-reqs.
 
yes, you are correct. Plus, the linkage program is very tough! I don't think most people would be eligible. Up to five candidates can be recommended for the linkage program. Then, the medical school will consider the application. Its a two step process.
 
I'm finishing my last semester of the formal post bacc program at Stony Brook. Overall the experience has been subpar. If I had the choice to do it all over again I would have splurged for one of the recognized private school programs. First off most of my classes have had about 500 students, the smallest being around 300. I constantly had trouble getting into the classes. Space was limited, the course requirements didn't match up with my prerequisites, the labs where only offered every other semester. In order to get into the classes I needed I literally had to beg each semester. The premed advising is also not very good. I noticed the other day that they recommend you take German as an undergrad if you want to do research.( I think that advice is about 50 years behind) When it comes down to it they started a post bacc program without any policies on how to get their students into the courses they need. As post baccs we are all a little older and can't afford to waste a year because we couldn't meet our requirements in a timely manner. Stony Brook was also very quick to tell you to pick up courses at community college or Farmingdale instead of giving you permission to say get around a calculus requirement for a course in molecular biology. I don't need to clutter up my transcript with community college credits. I want to find ways to make my transcript look better and increase my chances not the other way around. Also another point is that you don't get a chance to know you professors. The recommendation that you get from them is usually standard saying this student took my class in this year and got an A therefore I recommend them for medical school. I decided to go Stony Brook because the price was right. In this case you get what you pay for.
 
I am currently a post-bacc student at Stony Brook finishing up my first semester. I agree with anonymous1001; the advising isn't anything extraordinary, it's similar to the advising I had for my undergrad at C.W. Post University. Stony Brook has a stellar reputation but their classes are substantially more difficult. I was in a doctoral program before I switched to Stony Brook for post-bacc and I am struggling in these classes despite my previous stats. The classes are huge; the professors don't know anyone's name and it is a nuisance that the labs don't coincide with the classes. However, considering the difficulty of the classes and a test average of 33, you can expect a huge curve. The downside of this, though, is that you never really know where you stand grade-wise because the grading is so bizarre and varies for each class. With regard to the linkage, the committee can choose UP to 5 people – which means that only 1 or 2 may be nominated. Stony Brook's post-bacc program doesn't have any medical admission statistics because the program is new and their first class is going through the application cycle now. Overall, I enjoy the classes here and would recommend the program. Also, there are many resources at Stony Brook for extra help if needed, research opportunities and volunteer work.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Good luck.
 
If you want to attend a school where most people are devoid of any normal relationships/social contact teamed that with mostly eccentric professors....then GO Seawolves! Whatever the hell they are.

BTW, if your a Post-Bacc my best advice for you is to stay the hell away from most other Post-Baccs...all you'll get is their negative stressed out energy. If you do go through the program, do your thing, smile, and get out.
 
And the linkage is almost mythical...Hope you can get a 35 MCAT (recommended by advisor) while finishing up ORGOII/PHYSICS II.
 
I applied to Stony Brook's post bacc program, but I have to wait until after June 30th to find out if I get into the school. I am hoping for the best.

I understand that Stony Brook's campus may not be aesthetically pleasing, there isn't a lot of "team spirit" on campus, and the classes are huge; however, how is the academic experience overall? Did it help you get into a school or prepare well for the MCAT?

I am not at a point in my life where I care about the fun side of school. I want to get the best education I can get for my money, and I hope it is a great program.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive, and I look forward to hearing some feedback from those who attend or attended the program.
 
Remember that a postbacc program alone, no matter how well you do, doesn't get you into medical school. Make the curriculum challenging by retaking courses you haven't done well in and upper level classes that you have never taken. Do some extra curricular activities - volunteer at the hospital, tutor, etc.

The curriculum is pretty good but the name is not too strong. There are many many students at the school that end up in Caribbean schools. Nothing wrong with that but its a little odd considering that NY has so many public med schools (and many med schools in general).

Anyways, compare your options in postbacc programs and in medical school options.

I applied to Stony Brook's post bacc program, but I have to wait until after June 30th to find out if I get into the school. I am hoping for the best.

I understand that Stony Brook's campus may not be aesthetically pleasing, there isn't a lot of "team spirit" on campus, and the classes are huge; however, how is the academic experience overall? Did it help you get into a school or prepare well for the MCAT?

I am not at a point in my life where I care about the fun side of school. I want to get the best education I can get for my money, and I hope it is a great program.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive, and I look forward to hearing some feedback from those who attend or attended the program.
 
I applied to Stony Brook's post bacc program, but I have to wait until after June 30th to find out if I get into the school. I am hoping for the best.

I understand that Stony Brook's campus may not be aesthetically pleasing, there isn't a lot of "team spirit" on campus, and the classes are huge; however, how is the academic experience overall? Did it help you get into a school or prepare well for the MCAT?

I am not at a point in my life where I care about the fun side of school. I want to get the best education I can get for my money, and I hope it is a great program.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive, and I look forward to hearing some feedback from those who attend or attended the program.


I went through this program so I'll throw in my two cents.

Classes: You will be taking the regular Stony Brook undergrad classes which are actually very challenging to get an A in. Due to having 1000 kids in each class, the pre med classes are graded on a curve. I would imagine about 10% or 15% get an A. Problem is that there are a tremendous amount of very smart people at Stony Brook who went there over much better schools because of its low in state cost. As a result, you may end up as one of the 200 very smart people in the class vying for one of 100 or so spots for an A, while the other 800 are mediocre students and the ones who actually study for tests can usually grab a B or B+.

MCAT: This is all up to you. The classes are challenging, so you will have a good foundation, but the MCAT is very self driven.

Overall Program: Fairly disorganized. You get first dibs on registering for classes, which is sweet, but besides that it's really not too much different than just taking classes at SB. Also the linkage is pretty much a shortcut for qualified applicants, and isn't one of those easy ins for low stats students. You need straight A s and a killer MCAT to even get into the process, and at that point you probably could have gotten in by applying the traditional way, so no real help there, besides saving a year of course.

Oh, and its insanely cheap. 1/10th of the price of the NYU or Columbia programs.
 
I got in a few days ago, and I am very excited!

I know it's not a "fun school," but it should offer me an excellent education. Also, you can't beat the price!

Here's hoping to a great future in medicine. :xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there any experience/advice on post bacc for PT school through Stony Brook?
You are asking about being pre-PT in a medicine forum. And its a 3.75 year old thread.

Excellent work.