Post-Bac Benefit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pete415273

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the benefits of enrolling in a school with a post-bac program as opposed to just taking the required prereqs? I am 34, returning to school after a 12 year career as an airline pilot. I have a business degree with a marginal gpa 2.9. I graduated in 94. What other recommendations are their to increase my chances, other that good grades and high MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

pete415273 said:
What are the benefits of enrolling in a school with a post-bac program as opposed to just taking the required prereqs? I am 34, returning to school after a 12 year career as an airline pilot. I have a business degree with a marginal gpa 2.9. I graduated in 94. What other recommendations are their to increase my chances, other that good grades and high MCAT?

They sometimes provide you with additional help in terms of getting letters of recs, study skill enhancement, application workshops and so forth. Plus some of these programs may give you a certificate that says you finished this program. I don't know how much that is worth. Lastly, most programs require you to maintain a GPA of like 3.5, so that motivates applicants to do well. Whereas informal programs you are self-motivated, and thus depending on the person that is better or worse. I found that having a GPA requirement that high was a very good motivator;) Lastly you are usually enrolled as a standard student in a formal post-bacc program, so you can get most of the classes you want without much hassle, where as some informal programs (e.g.: open campus) you are last priority to register, and there are a lot of hoops to jumpt through.

A big factor will be your grades and MCAT though, at least the first hurdle. Your life experiences (12 years and as an airline pilot) will make you very unique in a good way. Therefore I would just be concerned about covering your bases in terms of clinical exposure, community service, and writing a profound personal statement and you should be competative as the next guy. Big thing though, you should try to get your GPA at least to a 3.0, but most likely get it higher than that. Show a years worth of good grades (3.5+), and try to be a full-time student during your post-bacc program.

In summary, show the adcoms that you have RECENT success in school, as well as a higher overall GPA due to post-bacc. There is no difference in informal vs. formal post-baccs in terms of allowing you to get into med school any easier. The big factor is you, and what kind of program you are looking for. If you want them to hold your hand and guide you around then try to go for a formal program. If you are self-sufficient, then an informal program may work too. I personally did an informal one because they wouldn't let me into a formal program due to their criteria:).

Post-baccs are not all alike, and you may find that some programs will fit your needs better than others. Alternatively, you might decide that you're better off taking the pre-reqs on your own.

I chose to enroll in my post-bacc program because I wanted to take classes with "regular" undergrad students, and to have my performance compared directly against theirs. Being in the program also gave me access to the school's pre-med committee, which was very useful in getting my composite reference letter and in getting some basic advising along the way.

Of course, I could've paid a lot less and taken the courses a la carte at a less expensive university. And things might have worked out the same anyway. I appreciated the slight bit of structure that came with the program, though, along with the cameraderie both from my fellow post-baccs and from the majority of the undergrad population. I'm comfortable with the choice that I made.

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing to consider with formal post-baccs is that it's another application process/cycle that may put off your med school education for another year. Don't quote me on this, but i think it requires recommendations, essays, etc etc. The benefit is the advising, structure, and sometimes linkage programs.

Personally, I thought that was a waste of my time and money. I'm not getting any younger, my opportunity cost increases with time. I didn't want to pack and move for a non-degree. With an a la carte post-bacc, I started classes right away while working full-time. When the time came, I quit my job, took a really heavy load full-time (fall, winter, spring) and finished all but one of my prereqs within one academic calendar. I was in control of when and where I take classes, and found a strong support network at my local community colleges (in California). Such acceleration can be difficult to pull off in a formal program which often don't offer all the necessary winter/summer classes at the right times to complement your needs.

Again, I'm just generalizing. You should definitely do your own research. There's Georgetown, Columbia, Hunter, Scripps, Harvard Extension's HC track, and many other very good programs. Do what best fits your unique circumstances.

Good luck! :luck: :luck:

medworm said:
One thing to consider with formal post-baccs is that it's another application process/cycle that may put off your med school education for another year. Don't quote me on this, but i think it requires recommendations, essays, etc etc. The benefit is the advising, structure, and sometimes linkage programs.

Personally, I thought that was a waste of my time and money. I'm not getting any younger, my opportunity cost increases with time. I didn't want to pack and move for a non-degree. With an a la carte post-bacc, I started classes right away while working full-time. When the time came, I quit my job, took a really heavy load full-time (fall, winter, spring) and finished all but one of my prereqs within one academic calendar. I was in control of when and where I take classes, and found a strong support network at my local community colleges (in California). Such acceleration can be difficult to pull off in a formal program which often don't offer all the necessary winter/summer classes at the right times to complement your needs.

Again, I'm just generalizing. You should definitely do your own research. There's Georgetown, Columbia, Hunter, Scripps, Harvard Extension's HC track, and many other very good programs. Do what best fits your unique circumstances.

Good luck! :luck: :luck:
When I made the final decision to pursue medicine, it was roughly October 2003 -- too late to start fall classes, and I didn't want to start in the spring. I therefore lost no time by starting my post-bacc program in the following summer, and completed all of my work (including MCAT) in a year as well.

You're right, though; some programs require more hoops than others, and not always for great benefit. It depends on the individual more than anything else. Careful research is key. :)