econ2mcat

New Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2005
2
0
Status (Visible)
I read in one of the threads that taking pre req classes for med school at a junior college are looked down upon. Is this really true? Taking classes at a jc, could this lower my chances of getting into a good med school?
 

champSJL

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
54
1
Status (Visible)
econ2mcat said:
I read in one of the threads that taking pre req classes for med school at a junior college are looked down upon. Is this really true? Taking classes at a jc, could this lower my chances of getting into a good med school?

Hey I'm taking them now @ a junior college mainly b/c I have an business economics degree and I wanted to get my science credits at an accelerated pace. The school I'm at is currently the only one in the Dallas area that offers them at such a fast pace. I'm nearly done with all my sci. credits (just need to take Organic) after 5 months.

Yes, from what I've heard it's not as impressive as taking these classes at a 4 year school. But I personally know people and know of people that have gone through this route and they have made it into some of the top med schools in the country. (one of the aforementioned people goes to UT Southwestern here in Dallas)

Here's how I'm countering: BY MAKING MYSELF COMPETITIVE IN OTHER AREAS OF MEDICINE EXPERIENCE. I am volunteering a lot and close to getting a research job. I also plan on working in a hospital part time. And really, for people like you and I - it's all about the MCAT. If we do well on the MCAT (30 or above) we're going to be accepted SOMEWHERE in this country. And that ain't bad!
 

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
2,697
10
In a world all my own.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
champSJL said:
Hey I'm taking them now @ a junior college mainly b/c I have an business economics degree and I wanted to get my science credits at an accelerated pace. The school I'm at is currently the only one in the Dallas area that offers them at such a fast pace. I'm nearly done with all my sci. credits (just need to take Organic) after 5 months.

Yes, from what I've heard it's not as impressive as taking these classes at a 4 year school. But I personally know people and know of people that have gone through this route and they have made it into some of the top med schools in the country. (one of the aforementioned people goes to UT Southwestern here in Dallas)

Here's how I'm countering: BY MAKING MYSELF COMPETITIVE IN OTHER AREAS OF MEDICINE EXPERIENCE. I am volunteering a lot and close to getting a research job. I also plan on working in a hospital part time. And really, for people like you and I - it's all about the MCAT. If we do well on the MCAT (30 or above) we're going to be accepted SOMEWHERE in this country. And that ain't bad!


Dallas? Accelerated? let me guess, HMMM NORTHLAKE???

Kay Kouadio for Chem??? :D

Yup, ALOT of Dallas folks have done the Northlake-UTSW route... It is the best kept secret in town....

As far as the rest of the country and community college..Well I don't think we will ever get any concensus on that on SDN....Spme say no , some say yes....

Personally, I am poor and gotta work, so I'll do a mix of CC along with a 4-year and if needed a post-bac...( I hope I don't need a post-bac, G-town and BU are EXPENSIVE! $ 20k my arse...)

Agape
 
About the Ads

jonathani1

Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2004
113
0
42
South Dakota
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm taking Calc, Pre-calc, Lit, Composition at a Junior college here in Atlanta. I don't really have an option -- because of personal and career circumstances I had to go somewhere that offered evening and weekend classes.

In the fall I am leaving for Harvard's Health Career Program to finish up my science classes. Professor Fixsen, the administrator of the program says that med schools do frown on Junior college courses. The reason is that, regardless of how good your college may be, there are a lot out there with academic levels not much higher than high school. It's hard for med schools to tell the difference. Anyway, that is his explanation.

Good luck! :)
 

champSJL

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
54
1
Status (Visible)
sunnyjohn said:
Dallas? Accelerated? let me guess, HMMM NORTHLAKE???

Kay Kouadio for Chem??? :D

Yup, ALOT of Dallas folks have done the Northlake-UTSW route... It is the best kept secret in town....

SUNNYJOHN - how did you know?! Yes I just finished taking Chem I with Dr. Kouadio and I'm currently taking Chem II w/ Kouadio. He's a fantastic prof. I love Northlake simply b/c of how accelerated these classes are going. After May all I need is to take Organic and them I'm completely caught up.

You currently going there?
 

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
2,697
10
In a world all my own.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
champSJL said:
SUNNYJOHN - how did you know?! Yes I just finished taking Chem I with Dr. Kouadio and I'm currently taking Chem II w/ Kouadio. He's a fantastic prof. I love Northlake simply b/c of how accelerated these classes are going. After May all I need is to take Organic and them I'm completely caught up.

You currently going there?

No, I'm not at Norhtlake currently. I used to got there. I lived just around the corner, but right now I am travelling for work and spending time with my fiance in IN.

Kouadio is a trip, isn't he! It took me a bit to get used to him, but I eventually got the hang of it. I love the fact that Northlake lets you knock the classes out 1-2-3.... You can get Bio, Physics, Gen-chem and O-chem in a year if you work hard at it.

Are you trying for UTSW? You know it's the flagship of the Texas Medical schools system.. They always go back and forth between Baylor Med & UTSW for the title of " The Harvard of Texas"...
:p

Like Harvard could ever beat Texas!!!

Agape
 

champSJL

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
54
1
Status (Visible)
sunnyjohn said:
No, I'm not at Norhtlake currently. I used to got there. I lived just around the corner, but right now I am travelling for work and spending time with my fiance in IN.

Kouadio is a trip, isn't he! It took me a bit to get used to him, but I eventually got the hang of it. I love the fact that Northlake lets you knock the classes out 1-2-3.... You can get Bio, Physics, Gen-chem and O-chem in a year if you work hard at it.

Are you trying for UTSW? You know it's the flagship of the Texas Medical schools system.. They always go back and forth between Baylor Med & UTSW for the title of " The Harvard of Texas"...
:p

Like Harvard could ever beat Texas!!!

Agape

Yes, Kouadio certainly is a trip! The fast paced classes are the best - seriously I embarked on this path in December and I'll be done by the end of August. And by done I mean I've taken Organic + upper division electives too. Just have to take the April 2006 MCAT and I'm good to go.

PM me sometime if you've got any other advice. I really appreciate any / all advice I can get from either your personal knowledge or people you know of.

Thanks!
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.