Post bac ESSAY HELP ME.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennifer kim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply to post bac program because I have no response from any schools yet and I thought I should start applying.

So for Midwestern post bac program, it says to write why I chose this program. Is it bad if I would reuse my personal statement for dental school application?

or is it okay for me to add the lines of something like I'm trying to improve my gpa to get into dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

Jenny, Jenny! Maybe you can reuse some nuggets. You're still awesome, right? You already wrote about that. May as well go with those ideas. But do as you said and simply state why you are applying. The program is specifically for pre-health prep & placement. You can talk about it. A stepping stone to your dreams and wealth. You can express additional interest in Midwestern specifically. Perhaps you're applying there because it will help you in that program...big time. Or to build up the most amount of debt you can just to challenge and motivate you down the road. It's a one-year MA program. I don't think they have a post-back program (although by definition it kind of is). I would not call it that in an essay.

Does the essay need to be in a specific font?

Members don't see this ad :)
Jenny, Jenny! Maybe you can reuse some nuggets. You're still awesome, right? You already wrote about that. May as well go with those ideas. But do as you said and simply state why you are applying. The program is specifically for pre-health prep & placement. You can talk about it. A stepping stone to your dreams and wealth. You can express additional interest in Midwestern specifically. Perhaps you're applying there because it will help you in that program...big time. Or to build up the most amount of debt you can just to challenge and motivate you down the road. It's a one-year MA program. I don't think they have a post-back program (although by definition it kind of is). I would not call it that in an essay.

so just be honest and say why i love midwestern basically. ...
so can i be like well, I heard good advancing program for dental school so i really wanted to go to midwestern, and because I wanted to increase my scientific knowledge before i go to midwestern dental, i am applying for this post bacc.. blah blah

can i state that the school is near me or that I know students who go there that said it honestly is a better program than UIC because the professors dont treat the students like crap... haha okay not exactly those words or that straightforward.. but i am honestly running out of words so..

can i state that the school is near me or that I know students who go there that said it honestly is a better program than UIC because the professors dont treat the students like crap... haha okay not exactly those words or that straightforward.. but i am honestly running out of words so..

I would definitely NOT go there. Even if you are complimenting the school, you don't want to do it at the expense of another school--this would look very professional.

Some examples of things you could say:
"School X is close to my home, and I can say with certainty that I would love to continue my education in this area. yada yada"
"What initially turned me on to school X's program were the fantastic reviews I heard of the institution. I have met many others with only the highest regards for the program and its professors. From my own research and experiences, I have come to mirror these sentiments. I know I would be very fortunate to attend such an institution."

You get the gist. Be complimentary, but don't hate on another school! And don't brown-nose too much--there is definitely a fine line there.

My ultimate advice would be to err on the side of professionalism.

To your original question, though--no, I would not simply reuse your personal statement. You might reuse a LOT of the meat of it, but tailor it to what you are applying for currently. I don't see any shame in stating that your ultimate goal is dental school. I'd just say that you are wanting to broaden and further your academics beforehand (or something along those lines).

Just tell them the truth. I agree with Glimmer. You shouldnt talk down a school unless you went there and got wronged by them in some relevant way. I met a few of the students in that program when I was living on campus with my then gf who was a DO student there. You have nothing to fear as far as why you want to be there compared to them. You are in the same boat. Trust me, just write what you want out of the program and where you plan to be headed with it. A simple, hey, this is me, this is what I want and need from your program, and this is what I want to do with it when I successfully complete it. Nothing elaborate needed.

A better question is, are you sure you want to go through their program and plunk $30+ on a degree that you really can't use to find a job? It's not even a master of science in biomed. If you are in Phoenix area, might be better off to take some classes at ASU instead.