Post-Bac, Grad School, or Work Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Postbac, Masters, Work?

• Total voters

narutokun

Reaction score
Hi, need some advice on what to do for preparing for reapplication the following years.

I'm a 24-year old, recently graduated, ORM from California. cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.1 (for some reason my AMCAS/AACOMAS GPAs are lower than my GPA from my undergrad by 0.1 - real bummer when I inputted everything into the calculator). MCAT is 504. Applying to both MD and DO.

I have about 300 hours volunteering for a hospital, 500 hours working at home as a medical transcriptionist, currently doing courses part time, and working as a medical assistant and as a tutor for a center. <50 hours shadowing doctors. I have a decent amount of research experience though, and I was 4th out of 8 co-authors in a publication. I have a solid personal statement down.

I feel like I'm content with research experience, am currently building up my clinical and teaching experiences, and want to strengthen the rest of my application (grades, MCAT, non-clinical experience).

I'm trying to plan ahead for reapplication in the event I do not get in this cycle, and I don't think I'll be ready to apply for next year, so I'm willing to wait about 2-3 years before reapplying. I've been doing DIY post-bac this past year, and am debating if I should continue doing DIY or formal postbac, pursue a Masters or SMP, or start working full time, preferably in a program like teach for America or something related to public health and helping poor communities out. I will retake my MCAT too, regardless of my decision.

Any and all advice is welcome! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, need some advice on what to do for preparing for reapplication the following years.

I'm a 24-year old, recently graduated, ORM from California. cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.1 (for some reason my AMCAS/AACOMAS GPAs are lower than my GPA from my undergrad by 0.1 - real bummer when I inputted everything into the calculator). MCAT is 504. Applying to both MD and DO.

I have about 300 hours volunteering for a hospital, 500 hours working at home as a medical transcriptionist, currently doing courses part time, and working as a medical assistant and as a tutor for a center. <50 hours shadowing doctors. I have a decent amount of research experience though, and I was 4th out of 8 co-authors in a publication. I have a solid personal statement down.

I feel like I'm content with research experience, am currently building up my clinical and teaching experiences, and want to strengthen the rest of my application (grades, MCAT, non-clinical experience).

I'm trying to plan ahead for reapplication in the event I do not get in this cycle, and I don't think I'll be ready to apply for next year, so I'm willing to wait about 2-3 years before reapplying. I've been doing DIY post-bac this past year, and am debating if I should continue doing DIY or formal postbac, pursue a Masters or SMP, or start working full time, preferably in a program like teach for America or something related to public health and helping poor communities out. I will retake my MCAT too, regardless of my decision.

Any and all advice is welcome! Thank you!
What are your year by year GPAs? Any upward trend? How many credits of postbacc coursework have you completed so far? Did you apply this cycle knowing that you have a hugh chance of reapplying?

Year by Year: 3.32, 2.65, 3.08. 3.69, 3.97. Will have completed 19 units postbac by end of spring.

I applied this cycle thinking I could get into some lower tier schools and schools that I have family history with. I am asking about reapplication now just in case because I think many postbac, grad school, or work programs have application due dates in December.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should receive interviews at DO schools with your stats. You will not need to reapply if you apply more broadly to DO schools and I suggest applying all these in the next week:
TUNCOM
ATSU-SOMA
BCOM
ICOM
UIWSOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM