Post-Bac/Masters Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 238710

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I am a current senior at a top 15, prestigious university and have a 3.1 major GPA, a 2.9 science GPA and got a 19 on the MCAT (5-V, 7-PS, 7-BS). I am going to re-take the MCAT during this summer in August/September. Prior to that I am planning on taking the GRE within the next month to strengthen applications for post-bac/masters programs. My goal is to apply to medical schools in the upcoming fall for admission in Fall 2014.

I am planning on either doing a post-bac or masters program during the gap-year. I know that I am not nearly competitive for applying to med school right now and that I have a lot of work to do. I am ready to buckle down and get ready to crush the MCATduring this summer as well as put all of my effort into getting a 4.0 at the post-bac/masters program. (MCAT practice tests were around a 29).

I have been researching quite heavily on different programs that I can apply to. I am interested in programs that have some type of linkage program to a medical school or something with a potential guarantee or interview. I have looked into Drexel, NYMC, Case Western, and a few others. Other programs are fine as well, but they need to be academic enhancers.

Questions for SDN:
1) Any suggestions/thoughts on different programs you or friends have attended?
2) Do I need to submit my MCAT score to these programs if they do not require an MCAT score for admission? I would be planning on sending the GRE scores.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current senior at a top 15, prestigious university and have a 3.1 major GPA, a 2.9 science GPA and got a 19 on the MCAT (5-V, 7-PS, 7-BS). I am going to re-take the MCAT during this summer in August/September. Prior to that I am planning on taking the GRE within the next month to strengthen applications for post-bac/masters programs. My goal is to apply to medical schools in the upcoming fall for admission in Fall 2014
Don't bother - you've got close to 0 chance of admission. MCAT aside (which is almost 6 standard deviations below average....), your cGPA is 3+ standard deviations below average for MD accepted student. You are completely wasting your money. Even if you get a 32 MCAT - you won't be getting into an MD school with those scores, unless your a URM and someone throws you a hail-mary interview.
FYI - you realize admission in 2014 means you would be doing apps this summer right....And that the last accepted MCAT for starting med school fall 2014 is typically like September 1st 2013, right?
I am planning on either doing a post-bac or masters program during the gap-year. I know that I am not nearly competitive for applying to med school right now and that I have a lot of work to do. I am ready to buckle down and get ready to crush the MCATduring this summer as well as put all of my effort into getting a 4.0 at the post-bac/masters program. (MCAT practice tests were around a 29).

I have been researching quite heavily on different programs that I can apply to. I am interested in programs that have some type of linkage program to a medical school or something with a potential guarantee or interview. I have looked into Drexel, NYMC, Case Western, and a few others. Other programs are fine as well, but they need to be academic enhancers.

Questions for SDN:
2) Do I need to submit my MCAT score to these programs if they do not require an MCAT score for admission? I would be planning on sending the GRE scores.
You need an SMP - spend time researching those

Plan on doing at least one year of hard academics, and plan on getting at least a dozen more points on the MCAT, before you apply MD.

Bringing out "top 15" and "prestigious" does nothing for you. Like many of us in this forum, you squandered the opportunities you had at that school, and now your only path to a US MD school is through rigorous and lengthy academic redemption. There are no guarantees. Make sure there's no other career in which you'd be happy before you go down the redemption path.

Spend about 10 hours reading the low GPA thread that has over a half million views, if you want to know what you're in for.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SDN,

Questions for SDN:

Thanks.

To answer your questions:

Morehouse School of Medicine Post-bac program, it is required to have a 5 or higher on the verbal section on the MCAT. After the program if you have a gpa of a 3.2 and a 24 MCAT you will have a guaranteed interview into Morehouse School of Medicine. I know someone personally who has successfully completed the program and attends the medical school. Check it out.
http://www.msm.edu/educationTraining/degreePrograms/GEBS/PostBaccCertificate.aspx