post-bac....need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCDD12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently waitlisted at 2 d schools. if i dont get in i plan on doing an informal post-bacc. I am going to just take some graduate level classes in the biology field. How many classes do pre-dental students usually take during one semester?? also, what bio classes do pre-dental students usually take??? (i have already complete all my pre-reqs)

thanks for anyone who can help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

is that what your supposed to do if you dont get accepted into dental school?

it will def help your chances for admission next year

Members don't see this ad :)
i am going to do the same thing!!!!! (if i dont get in):eek:
yea i wanted to take some upper level/graduate level sciences as well, "informally"..so ive been looking up masters/special masters programs all over and seeing what kind of classes they take!!...good idea?

yea thats what i wanna do but i dont know what classes to take and how many to take..... what do u think ur doing

i think courses like medical micro, cell bio, physiology, pathology, immunology...even saw some programs with bioethics. prob take like 3-4 courses this semester and see how it goes til next semester! whatchu think?

Would going to teachers college help your application?

i did the same to get into dental school. make sure you take a FULL load. that means at least 3 upper division science courses at one time PLUS another course.

i did the same to get into dental school. make sure you take a FULL load. that means at least 3 upper division science courses at one time PLUS another course.

what did you take...and doing that got you in!?!

what did you take...and doing that got you in!?!

Of course not JUST that, but doing an unofficial post-bac while taking a full load of hard science is a component of strenghthening a weak application.

It doesn't matter what I took, as long as you take upper division Bio courses from a reputable 4-year school.

BTW, beware of getting a masters unless you plan on completing the MS before applying. Dental school are reluctant to pull you out of a grad program to accept you to a school. I think you're better off doing an official or unofficial post-bac AND KICKING ASS.

Though I applied late, I have been waitlisted at 4 schools taking 4-6 credits a semester. But I do work full time in the financial industry. I think that offsets the need for a full course load.

Hi! I'm new but have been lurking around on this forum for a while. I've read somewhere that in order to do this you should take upper divs at a "reputable four year college." Would a state school be reputable enough or would it be a step down from the top tier school that i attended (and would it lower the value of my upper divs?) Thanks!!

Hi! I'm new but have been lurking around on this forum for a while. I've read somewhere that in order to do this you should take upper divs at a "reputable four year college." Would a state school be reputable enough or would it be a step down from the top tier school that i attended (and would it lower the value of my upper divs?) Thanks!!

No I think it's totally fine to do it at a state school...

Go to any college you feel like. It won't affect your acceptance if you are a good student. They are all the same when it comes time for applications to roll in the door since the adcoms will be looking at how well you did in your studies and not necessarily trying to weigh your school against another applicant. It doesn't work that way. Just make sure you get good grades at whatever accredited college you attend, and that your DAT scores are at or above the averages at the schools you plan on applying. The idea is to sell yourself to them with an impressive academic performance in college and not have to depend on your school's reputation as an excuse for your average marks.

Take full course loads of upper division or graduate level science classes. Your Course load should mimic the basic science course load of what one might expect in their first year of dental school. So you should take 14-18 credit hours of hard science courses for two or more semesters. I would also recommend speaking with a pre-dental advisor regarding chosing which classes you should take. Be sure to meet with this advisor/mentor during this post-bacc/masters program so they can follow your academic progress and get to know you. Towards the end of this program, you should feel more confident in your abilities (aim for >3.5), get a great letter of recommendation and be in a great spot for admissions.

Good luck.

Thanks so much! I already graduated so i don't know how i can get in contact with a pre-dent advisor. I had gone back to my school to try to see one, but they said there was no way since i was no longer paying tuition fees -_- Anyways i think i'll just try to look at the dental school curriculums and go from there. =) thanks so much again everyone!