• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Bushefro

7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2010
Washington
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey guys,

I am really struggling in deciding what I should do next year.

I applied to 20 med schools this cycle, and got wait-listed at one. I just took a year off and did research at a respectable med school and now have 2 publications and 1 poster. My stats are the following: 3.5 gpa, 30 MCAT, 2+years of research experience, clinical experience, and community service.

I am now trying to decide if I should retake my MCAT this summer and do research for another year or if I should possibly do the BU GEMS post-bac program.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

you have middle of the road stats in both the GPA and MCAT however you'll get way more mileage out of improving your MCAT score. You'd have to take a lot of classes to improve your GPA enough to make a significant difference in your app (3.8+ basically). My advice is study your butt off for the MCAT and pull that score up to a 33 or 34 and you'll have a great chance. also consider applying DO in addition to MD next time.

Bushefro

7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2010
Washington
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks for the advice!! Been MCAT studying for the past few weeks. Gonna study my butt off these next few months and shoot for the stars.

I was considering the BU GEMS program because I think I could really excel in the classes, then do a year of clinical research my second year of the program, and show med schools I'm ready for their curriculum and also boost my resume...and maybe even get into BUSM!

Thanks again for the advice!!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.