Post-bac or Work??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bushefro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am really struggling in deciding what I should do next year.

I applied to 20 med schools this cycle, and got wait-listed at one. I just took a year off and did research at a respectable med school and now have 2 publications and 1 poster. My stats are the following: 3.5 gpa, 30 MCAT, 2+years of research experience, clinical experience, and community service.

I am now trying to decide if I should retake my MCAT this summer and do research for another year or if I should possibly do the BU GEMS post-bac program.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

you have middle of the road stats in both the GPA and MCAT however you'll get way more mileage out of improving your MCAT score. You'd have to take a lot of classes to improve your GPA enough to make a significant difference in your app (3.8+ basically). My advice is study your butt off for the MCAT and pull that score up to a 33 or 34 and you'll have a great chance. also consider applying DO in addition to MD next time.

Thanks for the advice!! Been MCAT studying for the past few weeks. Gonna study my butt off these next few months and shoot for the stars.

I was considering the BU GEMS program because I think I could really excel in the classes, then do a year of clinical research my second year of the program, and show med schools I'm ready for their curriculum and also boost my resume...and maybe even get into BUSM!

Thanks again for the advice!!