post-bac pre-pharmacy student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

green velvet

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I graduated with a BA in English in 2003 and now am taking the science pre-reqs to apply to pharmacy school in 2010. My overall GPA is about a 3.4.

I have taken my bio sequence, physics sequence, microbio, and i'm currently taking my 2nd semester of general chemistry. My plan is to take organic over the summer and a second semester of organic and anatomy in the fall.

Do you think this will be a problem for my application for the class of 2010? I will not have completed my 2nd semester of organic chem and anatomy when I apply. Also I passed out of calculus from taking the AP exam in high school. Do you think that I have to re-take this?

I took some courses at a community college while working, but now have quit my job to focus solely on my pre-reqs at a 4-year school. Any feedback would be welcome!
 
Hello,
I graduated with a BA in English in 2003 and now am taking the science pre-reqs to apply to pharmacy school in 2010. My overall GPA is about a 3.4.

I have taken my bio sequence, physics sequence, microbio, and i'm currently taking my 2nd semester of general chemistry. My plan is to take organic over the summer and a second semester of organic and anatomy in the fall.

Do you think this will be a problem for my application for the class of 2010? I will not have completed my 2nd semester of organic chem and anatomy when I apply. Also I passed out of calculus from taking the AP exam in high school. Do you think that I have to re-take this?

I took some courses at a community college while working, but now have quit my job to focus solely on my pre-reqs at a 4-year school. Any feedback would be welcome!

Everything sounds nice so far, your BA is always a +. The calculus you will probably have to retake because I don't think they accept AP but what do I know? Get some volunteer/pharmacy experience and you will be golden! :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess I'm mostly concerned about the fact that I'll be applying before I have all of my pre-reqs done. Do you think that will be an issue? I plan to have all of them done by Fall 09.
 
I think you'll do fine for 2010 as long as you can complete your pre-reqs on time. Having a BA in English isn't directly related to pharmacy, but it will help with your applications and all the questions/essays you'll have to write. Keep up the grades and you should be well on your way!
 
Most people don't have all of their pre-reqs done by the time they apply, so no biggy to have a few left. Check with the schools you are applying to because some will accept AP credit, however a lot don't for math or science credits. If they do accept it, you will probably have to send them your AP score report, which is quite a pain when you've taken it awhile back. They sent my scores to me instead of the school, which about gave me a heart attack trying to get it in by the deadline. So get that done early!