Post-Bac Program for pre-med student- KU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckystars07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I don't know if there's anyone here attended the Post-Bac Program at Kansas Univeristy School of Medicine or not. I applied to KU School of Medicine (MD program) this year, and got rejected (post-interview). However, I got an invitation from the school later on to apply for their Post-Bac Program. Since I couldn't find much info. about the program on the website, I hope to learn something about the program from the people who have already attended. What is the exact schedule for the program? How many people actually get in medical school after the program? And what percentage of students they actually took in for the program among the people they invited to apply?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, this may not help much since I'm in your situation as well but I called up there and from what I learned, they only accept 10 students a year to do the post-bac. I'm not sure how many invitations are sent out but my friends also received the invitational. My friend says that there is a $10000 stipend for the year.

Phlebotomist: Thanks for your reply. Are you from KS? I hope to hear from them soon... Good luck, by the way. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, good luck to you too and yes, I'm from KS. :) I'm guessing we're supposed to hear from them the end of next week.

Yea I am waiting to hear back from this program as well. I am from Kansas and was in their Health Careers Pathways program in college.

I'm in the same situation.............ahhh this is killing me......I'm sure if one completes all of the requirements he or she will be able to enter med school automatically......the last time I called........which was on the date of the deadline.........Mrs. Rayford said she got 26 apps in front of her........pick only 10.........10k stipend plus a 5k loan if needed depending on your financial needs......I called today........she said a decision will be through email first and then through a letter............ahhhhhhh good luck!

Thanks for your info., Quadmanturbo. Actually I tried to call several times, but no one answered the phone :(. Do you know if they're gonna let us know today or later? I'm OOS, don't know if it's bad or not :). Anyway, good luck to all of you. Keep me posted about your result. :luck:

she said it will be after today and that doesn't mean we should expect it tomorrow because the committee is still deliberating on our applications........geez this wait is intense

Yeh, I cannot really stay away from my computer since you told me we'll be noticed first via email... I hope it's gonna be this week. :oops:

Yea, I am very excited and nervous, I really want to be a part of this program. Now that I know that we are going to hear via E-mail I also can't stay away from the computer. I heard as well that they take 5 or so alternates... I wonder what that means.

Yea, I am very excited and nervous, I really want to be a part of this program. Now that I know that we are going to hear via E-mail I also can't stay away from the computer. I heard as well that they take 5 or so alternates... I wonder what that means.

Hi Jape... The alternates you talked about sounds like a waiting list. I'm just guessing :). It must be a headache being on a WL right now, since the program will start really soon...

does anyone know what it takes to be in the program?............Mrs. Rayford said if a person doesn't appear to need any help..........like applying to med school with a Ph D....then that person is most likely not going to be accepted into the program

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's a good question, from what I gathered there really isn't a set criteria, because it is a program to help those that need a little extra help to get into me school. I think the only real criteria is that you have to be awarded a medical school interview. So in order to get an interview you needed pass a certain criteria. So I think at this point it is somewhat subjective what we need to enter into this program.

Well guys today could be the day!!!!! Good luck to you all :)

Well guys today could be the day!!!!! Good luck to you all :)

I guess not :)... I've been running in and out of my office to check my email more than 10 times today :laugh:. Good luck to u 2. Hopefully it'll come tomorrow. :xf:

Has anyone heard anything from the school yet??? I'm so nervous right now :(...

Nope I haven't heard anything yet, and I have been checking all day... My email goes straight to my phone.

Anyone hear anything yet, I am getting really nervous now because I haven't heard anything at all :(

Same here... haven't heard anything at all. I'm getting really nervous 2. Have you tried to contact the office? I don't know, but I think it might not be this week ...

Nope I didn't contact the office, I was to nervous to.... LOL. Did you contact the office?

I've tried to call them several times but no one answered the phone :confused:... That made me become more nervous about my application :oops:. Hopefully it'll be next week.:)

Hi

I'm waiting for a sign as well and not sure at all about my situation. My stats are GPA 3.45 MCAT 28 and took tons of bio courses from regular to advanced: Genetix, neurobio, molecular and cellular bio, microbiol, and biochem. Those are my strong areas and I'm getting a biochem degree at the end of this semester. Would these things qualify/disqualify me for this program? What are your stats like so we can discuss when we finally get our results? :scared:

I guess discussing about our stats right now only make us more worried about our application. We're not in the committee and we have no idea what criteria they're looking for in a candidate :D. Anyway, here's my stat, just for fun: 3.9GPA, 26MCAT (10P 5V 11B). I majored in biol (also took a lot of advanced biol courses), graduated last year. I'm OOS. Are you IS or OOS (just curious):)?

I'm in-state (if IS stands for in-state and OOS stands for out-of-state). What state are you from?

Last edited:
Today wasn't the day either... maybe tomorrow?? :xf:I tried calling today, only to get the answering machine. Anyone heard anything?

Hey y'all I'm in the same boat, waiting to hear back from Karen. I try calling her up but each time I call, it goes directly to voicemail. My girlfriend goes to KUMC so I asked her to try and go to her department and see when a good time would be to talk to her.

I called and Mrs. Rayford said most of the votes are in except for the ones from one dean (maybe executive?).....as soon as she gets all of the votes she will email everyone about the results........so I'm thinking it's at the end of this week at the latest......good luck :xf:........geez this is rough on my life

I emailed Mrs. Rayford, and she emailed me back:

"The selection committee is still deliberating. I expect to notify each applicant by e-mail no later than Friday, May 1st."

So, 2 more days to go :D.

hmm yea......I was thinking the same thing.......May 1st is the magic date......OR the WORST date ever!.........good luck :xf:

Cannot wait until Friday... Good luck to y'all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info, Luckystar. I called her today again and she restated what quadmanturbo told us. "They're waiting for the decision from one of the Deans." Anyway, now we have a tentative date to look out for! Good luck!

Today's the day yall. I wish you guys luck, and I hope you guys aren't going to be as obsessive about checking your email as I'm going to be!

Don't know if I'm brave enough to see the email myself or not ... Maybe I'll ask my friend to check it for me :D. Good luck to u 2!!!

Well considering my email goes to my phone I am going to be extremely obsessed with checking it..: LOL, but anyways best of luck to you all!!!!

I didn't get in either. It's not too surprising since I have had a huge amount of bio classes. Good luck to the rrst of you!

:( rejected as well. Well, I'm on their alternate list for med school... but seeing how the economy is, I doubt anyone will choose an out of state school over KU.

I was accepted into the post-bacc program for KU starting in a few weeks!!! Was anyone else accepted????