Post bac program or classes at local college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

k4ffy

Hi guys,
I have an uncommon situation. I was interested in medicine from when I first went to undergrad, but I had to give up on my premed courses halfway through because my main major was very intense and time-consuming. Now, after being out of school for about a year, I want to go back and finish up my premed and apply to med school. I have been looking at post-baccalaureate premedical programs, but these seem mainly designed for students who have had little or no science experience in their undergraduate educations.
Out of the basic requirements for applying to med school, I have already completed the following:
1 year of general chemistry
1 year of physics
1 year of calculus
1 year of english
physics lab
1/2 year of organic chemistry

which leaves me with:
1 year of bio
1/2 year of organic chemistry
chemistry lab
biology lab
orgo lab

Also, I dont want to waste any more time, and would ideally like to start medical school in the fall of 2007.

so my question to you guys is, should I just take the classes I need at a local school without entering into a post-bac program, and volunteer/shadow a doctor on the side?
What would be my best bet.

I live in Manhattan.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Your situation isn't all that uncommon! There are lots of people in your situation.

If you have a decent GPA, i'd just take classes at the local college, take MCAT, do well, and apply :)

thanks for the reply. my GPA is a 3.5, coming from an ivy league school. would it not look bad if i just took classes at a community college, instead of going to a proper post-bac program?

Members don't see this ad :)
k4ffy said:
thanks for the reply. my GPA is a 3.5, coming from an ivy league school. would it not look bad if i just took classes at a community college, instead of going to a proper post-bac program?
If you're in manhattan you have a ton of colleges around you although if you are working and can only do CC I don't think it would hurt you. I was told that they are frowned upon but then again they aren't "ALL" of your classes either. You might have a problem signing up for just labs though. Most classes have the lab tagged with them. Check the schools around you.

mshheaddoc said:
If you're in manhattan you have a ton of colleges around you although if you are working and can only do CC I don't think it would hurt you. I was told that they are frowned upon but then again they aren't "ALL" of your classes either. You might have a problem signing up for just labs though. Most classes have the lab tagged with them. Check the schools around you.

do you think its reasonable to expact to be able to start med school in fall of 2007? (Take MCAT's next august)

k4ffy said:
do you think its reasonable to expact to be able to start med school in fall of 2007? (Take MCAT's next august)

k4ffy - Your situation is hardly uncommon. As far as taking classes at local colleges versus a formal post-bacc, it really doesn't matter. I wouldn't recommend a community college if at all possible, but if you live in Manhattan, there are plenty of schools you can attend - from Columbia (formal program) to Hunter College, City College (not formal) to NYU (not sure how formal their program is). Hunter and City are not community colleges and their pre-med programs are well-respected among medical school admissions offices - especially those in the north east.

There's no real reason for you to do a formal program, unless you feel you want the structure. Some may not take you anyways, as you have a solid part of your pre-med coursework already completed. While you may not get a committee letter from schools taking only those courses that you want to take, you can apply none the less to medical schools with either 1) a committee letter from your undergraduate institution or 2) individual letters of recommendation from faculty members.

As far as starting in '07 goes, it's not totally impossible, but it will be a stretch if you're not taking any courses this semester. While you can complete some coursework during your lag year, you will obviously want to have most of it completed before you apply and especially before you take the MCAT. In theory, you could take Bio I/bio lab and Orgo II/Orgo lab in the Spring, then study all summer for the MCAT, learning bio 2 for yourself, and then take Bio 2 and the rest of your labs during your lag year. It might be tough, but it could be doable. If you don't need all the classes to raise your GPA, then it's something you might consider doing.

I attended Hunter as a post-bacc and am now an MSII in the city. Feel free to PM me with any further questions you may have.

k4ffy said:
Its not that unreasonable although as I mentioned you have most "labs" to take. All the CC's I know of in NJ have the labs attachted to the classes meaning you'd have to retake the labs AND the classes. If you can find a way to take the classes you need and you do well in them I think you'd have a great app. While taking classes, set up some shadowing and volunteering. With a decent MCAT you'd have a great chance of admission.

I'm doing my own post-bacc myself so I know how frustrating and impatient one can be. If you want this remember its a MARATHON, NOT a sprint. I'm applying myself next summer ;) Going for April MCAT's though. Only prereq that won't be done will be physics II and ochem II (will be mostly done it at that time and I'm retaking ochem from undergrad of 7 years ago).

:luck:

hey guys..i guess i have sort of a similar question..only with a COMPLETELY different background..right now i'm bringing my gpa up (after having a horrible one for the first two years of college)..i've learned to accept that it was my fault in the past and not blame it on one thing or another for my extremely low gpa. basically my question is..if i were to take (in my case re-take) just general bio 1 & 2 and chem 1&2 at a community college and then upper level science at 4 year school like Hunter or City College (i'm from manhattan in NYC as well) would it be frowned upon? the only reason i'm thinking of going this way is because of the finances. i don't want to risk being frowned upon even more because i took courses at a CC given my background but its just much more affordable for me. after i graduate i know i won't be able to apply right after to med school b/c my pre-reqs won't be completed. i'm considering getting an MPH and finishing the pre-reqs during this time (it can really help me out i think aside from the fact that i really am interested in combining that knowledge with MD knowledge)..sorry to make this so long..just wanted to know wat u guys think or if maybe anyone has done something similar. thanks a bunch.

Since you are in nyc and you have a lot of med schools around you, I would make an appointment with someone on the admissions committee and ask them directly. That way it'll come straight from the horse's mouth. :)

I know what your feeling about finances too! Ppl should be "forgiving" about taking classes at a community college! Would you be able to take classes at a state school rather than a community college?

N1DERL& said:
I know what your feeling about finances too! Ppl should be "forgiving" about taking classes at a community college! Would you be able to take classes at a state school rather than a community college?

yea they should lol..yea Hunter and City College are like the 4 year city schools..the state schools are the SUNY's but they're kinda far from me so it would be more difficult....thank for the advice about asking the adcoms directly tho..sounds like a very good idea