Post Bac Programs for Physical Therapy Prerequisites

Started by Eng2PT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Eng2PT

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently exploring options to transition from a career in mechanical engineering to physical therapy. My undergraduate engineering curriculum covered some of the prerequisites required for DPT admission (gen chem, gen physics I and II). As I continue to learn more about program requirements, I am hoping that those pursuing a DPT or transitioning from another field can recommend post bac programs specific to PT prerequisites (human anatomy and physiology, gen psych, exercise physiology). I have seen several postings/threads recommending post bac programs for pre-med, but none tailored to PT.

Specifically, I am considering programs/courses offered from surrounding schools in NY, NJ, and NC based on current programs of interest. Especially since I am currently working, I will consider part- and full-time programs (that do not lead to a graduate degree like MS, etc.). I appreciate any recommendations to satisfy DPT prerequisites!
 
You don't need another bachelor's degree, you just need to take the classes that you don't have that are pre-reqs. Although if the pre-reqs that you have taken are pretty old, you may need to redo them. Some schools say they have to be done within the past 5 years, some say 7, some say 10, some don't care how old they are. So just be aware of that. You don't need a formalized post-bacc program though. You should be able to take most if not all of the classes you need at your local community college.