Post Bac Programs for Physical Therapy Prerequisites

Started by Eng2PT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Eng2PT

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently exploring options to transition from a career in mechanical engineering to physical therapy. My undergraduate engineering curriculum covered some of the prerequisites required for DPT admission (gen chem, gen physics I and II). As I continue to learn more about program requirements, I am hoping that those pursuing a DPT or transitioning from another field can recommend post bac programs specific to PT prerequisites (human anatomy and physiology, gen psych, exercise physiology). I have seen several postings/threads recommending post bac programs for pre-med, but none tailored to PT.

Specifically, I am considering programs/courses offered from surrounding schools in NY, NJ, and NC based on current programs of interest. Especially since I am currently working, I will consider part- and full-time programs (that do not lead to a graduate degree like MS, etc.). I appreciate any recommendations to satisfy DPT prerequisites!
 
Ex-ME here too... I worked for several years on the feeding mechanisms of printers and check processors. How about you?

Pre-reqs: just take classes at a community-college to fulfill the DPT prereqs. Do check with your target DPT schools to make sure they will accept CC classes. AFAIK, there is no post-bac programs specifically geared to getting you ready for the DPT curriculum.
 
Ex-ME here too... I worked for several years on the feeding mechanisms of printers and check processors. How about you?

Pre-reqs: just take classes at a community-college to fulfill the DPT prereqs. Do check with your target DPT schools to make sure they will accept CC classes. AFAIK, there is no post-bac programs specifically geared to getting you ready for the DPT curriculum.

I am currently working in the medical device industry. *I am actually shadowing a PT tomorrow (very excited!). *What motivated your switch?

Did you work while taking CC classes? Are you currently in a DPT program?

Thanks for your response!
 
Last edited:
I am currently a 2nd-year. So far I'm enjoying the classes and the clinical rotations.

I quit my job and went to school full-time for 2 semesters to polish off all the missing prereqs. Most of them I took at a CC.

As for what prompted my switch: several family members suffered strokes; I was involved with their recovery and came up with a couple of things to help them in their rehab. I like to explore a new career every 10 years or so anyway, so I made the switch.