Post Bac Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRMDR

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im about to graduate from College. I wanting to know what Post Bac programs will accept someone who doesnt havea strong GPA but plans to get into the program to show dental schools that i m capable of performing well in upper level science classes. Are there any programs out ther willing to let me get my foot in the door?
thanks guys!
raj

Members don't see this ad.

Just check out some schools nearby and see if they have any post bacc programs. No schools near me or even in my state have post bacc programs for science. You may have to relocate to a school that has one. I'm doing my own "post bacc" by just taking all the upper level sciences at the nearest university. :luck:

There are some very good schools that have upper-level science classes that anyone can sign up for regardless of GPA, including Wash U., Northwestern, and Harvard. That's nationally. You state school probably has some sort of a-la-carte option with no GPA cutoff or a very low one, so try that first if you don't want to relocate. The best thing is, both of these options won't cost an arm and a leg.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rather than complete a post-bacc. program, I think it is better if you simply take upper level science courses at a local university. That way the grades that you earn will be calculated into your undergraduate GPA (so long as they are undergraduate courses and not grad. courses) and is a good way to boost that. AADSAS calculates for Undergrad. GPA and Graduate GPA separately.

I just took a year and a half of science classes (orgo, physics, micro, biochem, genetics, etc...) as a NON-DEGREE seeking student at one of my state universities. I graduated from college with a business degree and had to take my science requirements. LOTS of schools allow non-degree seeking students (just so you can take classes), so I would look in that direction if I were you....

If your GPA is really low, maybe you can enroll at a near-by university and just "add-on" to your degree. Get a major or minor in bio/chem. If I wanted I could have gotten a bio minor had I taken one more course (and enrolled as degree seeking), so that is just another thought. Good Luck!!