Post Bac & repeating prereqs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musashi

Ninja Paramedic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently started the post bac journey approx 18 months ago. I am almost through with the prereqs and am considering taking a couple of them over again. I earned Cs in Chem I & II and in Bio II. I’ve been using my military benefits (Hazelwood for TX veterans) to pay for my tuition. I think I will take these courses over but will do so at a community college, because this time around I have to pay out of my pocket. How do you think it would be viewed to have taken these prereqs at a University and then take them again at a community college? If I get As the second time around do you guys think adcoms would see this in a negative way. As I read through the various low thread gpa’s it seems to be the consensus that many retook their prereqs a second time. So, should I look at this option or keep taking upper level bio courses? I thought I would’ve done better at the post bac road, but I will admit I just SUCK at chemistry. I’m in orgo I and am on the B/C borderline and am working my ass off. It sometimes takes me a while to get something and I’m hoping I can do better the second time around.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently started the post bac journey approx 18 months ago. I am almost through with the prereqs and am considering taking a couple of them over again. I earned Cs in Chem I & II and in Bio II. I’ve been using my military benefits (Hazelwood for TX veterans) to pay for my tuition. I think I will take these courses over but will do so at a community college, because this time around I have to pay out of my pocket. How do you think it would be viewed to have taken these prereqs at a University and then take them again at a community college? If I get As the second time around do you guys think adcoms would see this in a negative way. As I read through the various low thread gpa’s it seems to be the consensus that many retook their prereqs a second time. So, should I look at this option or keep taking upper level bio courses? I thought I would’ve done better at the post bac road, but I will admit I just SUCK at chemistry. I’m in orgo I and am on the B/C borderline and am working my ass off. It sometimes takes me a while to get something and I’m hoping I can do better the second time around.

I was always told that repeating courses is not a good idea. The only place where it might help you is if you apply to DO schools as the AACOMAS has grade forgiveness. The most recent grade, if higher, would replace the older grade. However for allo schools, repeating more than a course or two may not look as good. I would instead focus on taking upper level bios as they will be more relevant to medical school classes and will give you a chance to prove yourself beyond the basic pre-reqs.

If you are able to do really well on the Physical Sciences portion of the MCAT (where the Gen Chem is), that may dispel any worries about your previous performance in Chemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are able to do really well on the Physical Sciences portion of the MCAT (where the Gen Chem is), that may dispel any worries about your previous performance in Chemistry.

Last edited:
... I have no doubts I will rock that section of the MCAT ...What do you think?

I think you should not "have no doubts". This isn't a "writing test" per se, and it's easy to be a great writer and good humanities student and still not rock this section. I'd take a few practice tests before you conclude how well you will do.

Thanks for answering my question.