Post Bac Science Classes from Overseas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperNonTrad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To make a long story short, I currently live outside of the US. I have a US Degree but none of the stuff required for pre med. I live in a first world country with world ranked universities, nobel prize winners in chemistry, biology, medicine etc.

If I enroll in one of the local universities to take the necessary postbac classes, will they be accepted? Anyone ever done this?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, unless everything about you is spectacular.

To make a long story short, I currently live outside of the US. I have a US Degree but none of the stuff required for pre med. I live in a first world country with world ranked universities, nobel prize winners in chemistry, biology, medicine etc.

If I enroll in one of the local universities to take the necessary postbac classes, will they be accepted? Anyone ever done this?

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of medical schools specify where they will accept classes from. For the schools that I have looked at they specify a US university for pre med coursework. If you are abroad could you enroll in med school where you live?

@GreenDuck12 I could except we only have 6 total (4 6 year programs, BS/MD, and two new four year US style MD Programs). Extremely competitive to get into. Tons of people here (Israel) go to Europe to do med school and then come back here to practice. I figure if I'm going to have to go abroad, I should at least consider the US even though it's extremely difficult.

You may need to call medical schools that you are interested in applying to with your question to get a definitive answer. You may have to pick where you want to practice medicine and base your decision about pre med coursework around that.

@GreenDuck12 I could except we only have 6 total (4 6 year programs, BS/MD, and two new four year US style MD Programs). Extremely competitive to get into. Tons of people here (Israel) go to Europe to do med school and then come back here to practice. I figure if I'm going to have to go abroad, I should at least consider the US even though it's extremely difficult.

You may need to call medical schools that you are interested in applying to with your question to get a definitive answer. You may have to pick where you want to practice medicine and base your decision about pre med coursework around that.

Agreed.. If you are US Trained with a US Residency you can easily get licensed in Israel (assuming you're a citizen etc).. Much more difficult the other way around. In fact the Israelis changed the law a while ago so if you take the USMLE you don't have to do the Israeli version, so many people just do that now so they can be eligible for fellowships down the road. Thanks for the advice!