Post-bac vs SMP: my own thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoadRunner17

Fleet of feet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading through some of the posts here on this forum, especially the post-bac vs SMP threads, I thought I would offer some of my own thoughts, especially in regards to my own situation..

There seems to be a general consensus here that if you're under a 3.0 with a good/decent MCAT, you're better off doing the SMP, as you have far too much to make up for in terms of undergraduate GPA. But then again, it does make sense that you do a post-bac to get above a 3.0 to make most cut-offs.. but it still means you are definitely recommended to go the SMP route at some point to cover as much ground as you can as opposed to spending 4 years to get the undergrad GPA up.

However, if you're sitting at a low 3.xx GPA, so for instance, 3.3 overall GPA, with a 3.0 sciences GPA, it is harder to make a blanket recommendation. While most of the posters I've seen so far seem to support going the SMP route, I tend to disagree. Does it make any more sense to take a full-time post-bac in one year to increase the overall GPA up to a 3.4-3.5 and the sciences GPA up to a 3.2-3.3 with a strong post-bac performance, continuing an upward trend from undergrad? Or, would you just be better off going straight to a SMP? This is the question here, and this is how I am choosing to answer it.

Personally, my situation is this: I have a 3.3 overall GPA, but I'm sure the AMCAS GPA is lower because I retook Organic Chem twice in consecutive terms (D+, then C+) back in my freshman year, a time I would rather forget, but am continually reminded of when I consider my application, despite my upward trend after that (external circumstances getting resolved, getting my act together, better study habits, better motivation, the usual). So I'm assuming it is more like 3.25-3.27, and the Sciences GPA is a tad bit under 3.2. I got a 31S (10P, 11V, 10B) on the August 2005 MCAT, and I am studying right now to decide if I should retake this September (meaning I would have to be confident about achieving 12's and 13's to significantly improve on my score). But I digress... my application is well-rounded according to my undergraduate premedical advisers as well as Ms. Hershman, the director of the post-bac program at UPenn; my weakness is in my GPA, there's no debate about that, and it's ultimately why we are all here considering our post-bac options.

Now, the question is whether I should do a post-bac or the SMP (in my case, Georgetown's). The problem is that I simply cannot afford Georgetown's program, with its insane cost over a year... UPenn's costs are about 1/2-1/3 of Georgetown's so it already has that advantage in my mind. I don't mind having or not having a M.S degree, as it seems there is a general understanding that a such M.S degree is not extremely useful in terms of real job opportunities outside of medical research. It's a tangible record of your achievement, this I agree with. But to me, the ultimate goal of all these external programs and coursework is to get into medical school and achieve my dream of becoming a doctor, not to grab extra degrees along the way. So you should do the program just because it will help you get into a medical school, not because you'll have something to show for your efforts in case you don't. That's the way I see it, anyway.

The question is, how do you think adcoms in general would look upon my application, if I were to apply next year with a strong performance in the post-bac program, possibly getting my GPA above 3.4 and sciences GPA not too far behind? I've made a spreadsheet and it's doable in my opinion.. if I were supremely optimistic, I'd be close to a 3.5, which could in theory happen with another semester of coursework. I have been trying to do a risk-reward analysis on my choices here, and I believe that I'm better off working within the undergrad GPA and continuing to display that upward trend from junior and senior year of undergrad with a full year's worth of post-bac work in the upper sciences. To me, it is a lower risk compared to doing a SMP, where people are not at all guaranteed to churn out a 4.0 given the high difficulty and competitiveness of the program... and the benefits are somewhat distorted by the fact that you will be applying to med schools during the year that you are doing the program (at least, that's what they strongly recommend at Georgetown). My reservations are especially heightened by the information in the thread about the dropout/failure rate for both types of programs. At least with the post-bac program, I am able to put my odds of success on a similar context with the relatively rigorous coursework I had at as an undergrad at Johns Hopkins, and I dealt with that much better after my freshman year. And as I mentioned earlier, this comes at half the cost. I'd also get to continue to pursue research and volunteer activities, especially during the glide year. I'm not in a hurry to get into medical school as long as it means I am maximizing the usage of my time to improve my application (and especially my readiness, both intellectual and emotional) significantly compared to where it stands now.

It also helps that my main in-state school, Wayne State University, has a policy of calculating only your post-bac work as your GPA if you do a minimum of 20 hours of hard sciences in a post-bac program. So an excellent performance in the post-bac program essentially rocket-boosts my chances to get least one acceptance at an US allopathic school. That's what ultimately pushed me to lean towards the post-bac program instead of the SMP. I really don't know how this would improve my standing with other medical schools, though... I would think the strong post-bac performance would weigh strongly with other medical schools, given that I will at least make the cut-off, though. If anyone knows or thinks something that might suggest differently, let me know. It's easy to be sanguine about it especially when your advisors tell you this, so I don't want to be misled here... but that's my thought process.

In conclusion, it is hard to make a blanket recommendation regarding those with border-line GPAs, and I think individuals have to go with what fits them the most. Not everyone can afford a SMP, and not everyone has a state school with a policy like Wayne State's. In this case, I chose to go with what I was more familiar with (coursework difficulty more similar to undergraduate work) and what I felt was less risky but offering similar benefits. Hope this sheds some light on the issue of post-bac versus masters'. Any comments or suggestions or responses welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

Man, you just hit about 90% of the same point-to-point navigation I did in a similar series of thought experiments based on my own credentials and strategies.

We have a couple of interesting differences though:

My u-grad gpa is less pliable than yours, probably b/c of more credit drag.
I have an overall cum that will reach 3.33 after this fall semester.
But my science gpa will be 3.9 or more. Many of my bone-head credits were from 8 or so years ago and contain little if any science. I too an well-rounded although by default. It's hard not to be at 33 with good health care experience

I have been working with a couple of contingencies. They follow the same fault lines that you traced as well.

Plan:
Work. Study for MCAT for Spring/summer test date. Apply for that next cycle while volunteering and maybe continuing to take more classes.

Contingency options:

*If MCAT is really good. Apply very widely w/out SMP as a backup.

**If MCAT is not so great apply to SMP's as a back up and go.
OR
**If MCAT is not so great continue to take classes and retake. It's possible to get my cum to a 3.4 but it stops there. A 3.5 is at the outer edge of the curve where the amount of effort does not justify the change.

The economics of the SMP is also a stretch and would be financed by loans exclusively--not something I'm excited about.

As to how our different applications will look....you just can't get a straight answer, if for no other reason, than who could say for sure anyway. We are just in the too tough to call category b/c some aspects look good but the key gpa measures are low. You just never know, until we give it a go....simple as that.

I'd say your making the right moves. Mainly because you are still covering good ground with the u-grad gpa at good bang/buck output.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

OP:

Yes, you fall into the grey zone, GPA 3.0 to 3.3. The toughest call to make: post bac, SMP, or combination. Most likely answer: combo. Reality: a long and expensive uphill climb no matter what you decide...

Be sure to set up a spreadsheet and check to see exactly how high you can raise your GPA with post bac classes. Most people seem to over estimate this number - many people have found that a year of 4.0 post bac raises a low GPA very little...

The other problem for you is that you have a fine MCAT, but it does not help your app erase any questions for an adcom about your low GPA the way that, say, a 35 could do. Another tough call - retake a 31? Not sure I know the answer to this one...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad to have some input on my situation as it specifically pertains to me, and to give some input on others'. As I wrote in my post, I looked into the GPA situation with a spreadsheet, and after looking through the available post-bac course options and giving myself a little leeway (half A's, half A-'s), I would go from a 3.26 to a 3.38, with a BCPM of 3.3 from a 3.05 in two semesters' of post-bac work. If the stars and the moons were to align perfectly and I got 4.0's (which is certainly possible, if I work my ass off), I'd go from a 3.26 to a 3.4, with a BCPM of 3.32 again from a 3.05. Basically, my sciences GPA stands to benefit the most from one year's worth of work, and that is the main reasoning behind the grades part of going the post-bac route. I could do another year, but the returns begin to diminish enough that it's not really worth it unless I feel it is important to bump my GPA beyond a fixed number. So, postbacker is right - its tough to raise your GPA through further post-bac undergraduate work.. its just a matter of deciding whether the resulting increases are tangible enough to be a big enough positive to get me to the interview.

I suppose the pertinent question (aside from whether I can achieve these results or not, of course) is how much this will help. There is the "upward trend", and of course the huge boost to my BCPM GPA, which is what I feel ultimately would keep me out of consideration otherwise. However, both numbers would be 3.3x, which is border-line competitive at most US allopathic schools... so that is questionable.

I believe that I need to retake the MCAT, and achieve 12-13's across the board in order to properly support this boost in my BCPM GPA and to be taken seriously.. it's a gray area, and nobody can really give me a straight answer, so it kind of sucks.

For now, I suppose I've decided that the plan is to prepare for the MCAT, and if I can pull off my goal (12+ across the board) then I will plan to apply immediately after a year of strong post-bac work... but I think given that Wayne State's policy would favor my strong performance, I would have a strong shot at gaining an acceptance to an US allopathic school. If that doesn't work out (and it invariably doesn't) then I will have to consider the SMP route if I can afford it... if not, there is always the osteopath route. But I prefer to be a bit more optimistic and focus on things one step at a time (MCAT in September, then post-bac work) and see where I am at the end of the year and the beginning of the 2008 application cycle.

Right now, I see the MCAT and post-bac work as sufficient in getting me to where I want to be.. which is on my way to becoming a medical doctor. That's the important thing in the end for all of us.

Man, you just hit about 90% of the same point-to-point navigation I did in a similar series of thought experiments based on my own credentials and strategies.

But my science gpa will be 3.9 or more. Many of my bone-head credits were from 8 or so years ago and contain little if any science. I too an well-rounded although by default. It's hard not to be at 33 with good health care experience

I have been working with a couple of contingencies. They follow the same fault lines that you traced as well.

Plan:
Work. Study for MCAT for Spring/summer test date. Apply for that next cycle while volunteering and maybe continuing to take more classes.

Contingency options:

OR
**If MCAT is not so great continue to take classes and retake. It's possible to get my cum to a 3.4 but it stops there. A 3.5 is at the outer edge of the curve where the amount of effort does not justify the change.

The economics of the SMP is also a stretch and would be financed by loans exclusively--not something I'm excited about.

As to how our different applications will look....you just can't get a straight answer, if for no other reason, than who could say for sure anyway. We are just in the too tough to call category b/c some aspects look good but the key gpa measures are low. You just never know, until we give it a go....simple as that.

I'd say your making the right moves. Mainly because you are still covering good ground with the u-grad gpa at good bang/buck output.

Invariably, people tell me that at such a long time after college, it seems that your undergraduate experiences become less important in the light of what you've been doing since college if that makes sense. So, if you can tie that in with why you want to go to medical school, I think you'd be in good shape.

You do have a 3.9 sciences GPA, I don't think that'll keep you out for long. And, your cumulative GPA is a 3.33, which is more than the vast majority of cut-offs for medical schools. So, the question here is whether having a lower overall GPA will hurt you badly, or will they consider the sciences GPA to be more relevant in ascertaining your academic performance? The main difference between you and I is the sciences GPA... and you know, you have less negatives in your application overall. So, you're actually in much better shape than I am in my opinion.. like you said, its hard to tell until you apply! I for one am not an expert on medical college admissions but that's how I feel, straight off the bat.

I definitely plan to have more correspondence with my premedical advisor from undergrad (and if I do the Penn postbac, Mrs. Hershman) about this subject for sure.

Invariably, people tell me that at such a long time after college, it seems that your undergraduate experiences become less important in the light of what you've been doing since college if that makes sense. So, if you can tie that in with why you want to go to medical school, I think you'd be in good shape.

You do have a 3.9 sciences GPA, I don't think that'll keep you out for long. And, your cumulative GPA is a 3.33, which is more than the vast majority of cut-offs for medical schools. So, the question here is whether having a lower overall GPA will hurt you badly, or will they consider the sciences GPA to be more relevant in ascertaining your academic performance? The main difference between you and I is the sciences GPA... and you know, you have less negatives in your application overall. So, you're actually in much better shape than I am in my opinion.. like you said, its hard to tell until you apply! I for one am not an expert on medical college admissions but that's how I feel, straight off the bat.

I definitely plan to have more correspondence with my premedical advisor from undergrad (and if I do the Penn postbac, Mrs. Hershman) about this subject for sure.

That's funny. I was thinking the opposite--that you are MCAT battle-tested and your score is good, and that your gpa is still responsive to your efforts--and that you are in better shape than me.

Thanks for the encouragement though. I fear my propensity to assume the worst of things might actually deter me from stepping up and going for it properly. I have been unable to confidently decide on one course of action and am consequently prattling nervously about this and that as I make my way along.:oops:

Plan:

Contingency options:

OR

I too am considering how much of an impact post-bacc classes will have on my overall GPA.... you mentioned generating a spreadsheet... could you tell me how you did this?
thanks

After reading through some of the posts here on this forum, especially the post-bac vs SMP threads, I thought I would offer some of my own thoughts, especially in regards to my own situation..

There seems to be a general consensus here that if you're under a 3.0 with a good/decent MCAT, you're better off doing the SMP, as you have far too much to make up for in terms of undergraduate GPA. But then again, it does make sense that you do a post-bac to get above a 3.0 to make most cut-offs.. but it still means you are definitely recommended to go the SMP route at some point to cover as much ground as you can as opposed to spending 4 years to get the undergrad GPA up.

However, if you're sitting at a low 3.xx GPA, so for instance, 3.3 overall GPA, with a 3.0 sciences GPA, it is harder to make a blanket recommendation. While most of the posters I've seen so far seem to support going the SMP route, I tend to disagree. Does it make any more sense to take a full-time post-bac in one year to increase the overall GPA up to a 3.4-3.5 and the sciences GPA up to a 3.2-3.3 with a strong post-bac performance, continuing an upward trend from undergrad? Or, would you just be better off going straight to a SMP? This is the question here, and this is how I am choosing to answer it.

Personally, my situation is this: I have a 3.3 overall GPA, but I'm sure the AMCAS GPA is lower because I retook Organic Chem twice in consecutive terms (D+, then C+) back in my freshman year, a time I would rather forget, but am continually reminded of when I consider my application, despite my upward trend after that (external circumstances getting resolved, getting my act together, better study habits, better motivation, the usual). So I'm assuming it is more like 3.25-3.27, and the Sciences GPA is a tad bit under 3.2. I got a 31S (10P, 11V, 10B) on the August 2005 MCAT, and I am studying right now to decide if I should retake this September (meaning I would have to be confident about achieving 12's and 13's to significantly improve on my score). But I digress... my application is well-rounded according to my undergraduate premedical advisers as well as Ms. Hershman, the director of the post-bac program at UPenn; my weakness is in my GPA, there's no debate about that, and it's ultimately why we are all here considering our post-bac options.

Now, the question is whether I should do a post-bac or the SMP (in my case, Georgetown's). The problem is that I simply cannot afford Georgetown's program, with its insane cost over a year... UPenn's costs are about 1/2-1/3 of Georgetown's so it already has that advantage in my mind. I don't mind having or not having a M.S degree, as it seems there is a general understanding that a such M.S degree is not extremely useful in terms of real job opportunities outside of medical research. It's a tangible record of your achievement, this I agree with. But to me, the ultimate goal of all these external programs and coursework is to get into medical school and achieve my dream of becoming a doctor, not to grab extra degrees along the way. So you should do the program just because it will help you get into a medical school, not because you'll have something to show for your efforts in case you don't. That's the way I see it, anyway.

The question is, how do you think adcoms in general would look upon my application, if I were to apply next year with a strong performance in the post-bac program, possibly getting my GPA above 3.4 and sciences GPA not too far behind? I've made a spreadsheet and it's doable in my opinion.. if I were supremely optimistic, I'd be close to a 3.5, which could in theory happen with another semester of coursework. I have been trying to do a risk-reward analysis on my choices here, and I believe that I'm better off working within the undergrad GPA and continuing to display that upward trend from junior and senior year of undergrad with a full year's worth of post-bac work in the upper sciences. To me, it is a lower risk compared to doing a SMP, where people are not at all guaranteed to churn out a 4.0 given the high difficulty and competitiveness of the program... and the benefits are somewhat distorted by the fact that you will be applying to med schools during the year that you are doing the program (at least, that's what they strongly recommend at Georgetown). My reservations are especially heightened by the information in the thread about the dropout/failure rate for both types of programs. At least with the post-bac program, I am able to put my odds of success on a similar context with the relatively rigorous coursework I had at as an undergrad at Johns Hopkins, and I dealt with that much better after my freshman year. And as I mentioned earlier, this comes at half the cost. I'd also get to continue to pursue research and volunteer activities, especially during the glide year. I'm not in a hurry to get into medical school as long as it means I am maximizing the usage of my time to improve my application (and especially my readiness, both intellectual and emotional) significantly compared to where it stands now.

It also helps that my main in-state school, Wayne State University, has a policy of calculating only your post-bac work as your GPA if you do a minimum of 20 hours of hard sciences in a post-bac program. So an excellent performance in the post-bac program essentially rocket-boosts my chances to get least one acceptance at an US allopathic school. That's what ultimately pushed me to lean towards the post-bac program instead of the SMP. I really don't know how this would improve my standing with other medical schools, though... I would think the strong post-bac performance would weigh strongly with other medical schools, given that I will at least make the cut-off, though. If anyone knows or thinks something that might suggest differently, let me know. It's easy to be sanguine about it especially when your advisors tell you this, so I don't want to be misled here... but that's my thought process.

In conclusion, it is hard to make a blanket recommendation regarding those with border-line GPAs, and I think individuals have to go with what fits them the most. Not everyone can afford a SMP, and not everyone has a state school with a policy like Wayne State's. In this case, I chose to go with what I was more familiar with (coursework difficulty more similar to undergraduate work) and what I felt was less risky but offering similar benefits. Hope this sheds some light on the issue of post-bac versus masters'. Any comments or suggestions or responses welcomed.
I too am considering how much of an impact post-bacc classes will have on my overall GPA.... you mentioned generating a spreadsheet... could you tell me how you did this?
thanks

thanks
I think I might have mentioned in the context of learning Excel spreadsheets was one of my summer goals. The way I've been calculating it is as follows:

Column one:
Column two:
number of hours for each course the number of grade points which h is the number of hours times the g grade value. Ex.3 hrs,with a B=9

Then I add up each column and divide the total grade points in column 2 by the total number of hours in column 1. The result is you cum gpa.

Hope that helps. I know you probably wanted the spreadsheet technique but this is all I've got right now. I'll post again or pm you when i get around to teaching myself some excel chops.

Sorry this message would format like I wanted it to. Sorry for the bumbling uselessneess of this post.

Here is a good GPA calculator spreadsheet. Just fill in the classes you've already taken and then start adding what you think you might take in a postbac program and what grades you think you might get to see how it would affect your GPA. Only fill in the first four columns... the gray boxes are all calculated automatically. Let me know if you have any problems using it. (If you are entering courses from schools that use different credit hour systems, you'll have to convert them all to one system or the other to use this.)

Attachments

• GPA calculator.xls
    30 KB · Views: 120
Oops, that file won't work in most versions of Excel. Use this one instead...

Attachments

• GPA calculator.xls
    31.5 KB · Views: 135
I'm struggling a lot with this decision too, but I think you make a lot of good points that help me lean more toward a post-bacc than an SMP.

I graduated Duke in '04, with a 3.55 overall and 3.2 BCP. My medical experience and extracurriculars are very strong, although I will need to take the MCAT sometime soon.

I calculated that I could up my overall to 3.65 and my BCP to 3.5 with 8 classes. Not a huge jump in the overall GPA, but a good one for the BCP.

I have a VERY strong upward trend, with all A's/A-'s my junior and senior year, including in a few upper level science courses. But, like an idiot, I took organic chem and phyics as a freshman, didn't do so well (C, B-) and it left a permanent mark on my GPA.

Do you guys think that my numbers would benefit more from a post-bacc than an SMP? My advisor thinks I should take my MCAT first and then decide about what to do, but I feel like if I want a chance at my top-choice schools (and I'm a CA resident), I need to do some more coursework.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I'm struggling a lot with this decision too, but I think you make a lot of good points that help me lean more toward a post-bacc than an SMP.

I graduated Duke in '04, with a 3.55 overall and 3.2 BCP. My medical experience and extracurriculars are very strong, although I will need to take the MCAT sometime soon.

I calculated that I could up my overall to 3.65 and my BCP to 3.5 with 8 classes. Not a huge jump in the overall GPA, but a good one for the BCP.

I have a VERY strong upward trend, with all A's/A-'s my junior and senior year, including in a few upper level science courses. But, like an idiot, I took organic chem and phyics as a freshman, didn't do so well (C, B-) and it left a permanent mark on my GPA.

Do you guys think that my numbers would benefit more from a post-bacc than an SMP? My advisor thinks I should take my MCAT first and then decide about what to do, but I feel like if I want a chance at my top-choice schools (and I'm a CA resident), I need to do some more coursework.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Confused here...have you taken the science pre reqs or not? If not, it would be foolish to take the MCAT "first" as your adviser suggests, but without it, it would be tough to get admitted to an SMP, so help us out with a little more detail...

Sorry for the confusion- I did fulfill all of the pre-med classes, so for me I would try to do something like the UPenn Special Sciences program or something similar just to take more higher level classes (I never took biochem either, which a bunch of places want now) and to raise my GPA/science GPA.

As for the MCAT- I took it several years ago so my scores are no longer good, but I did well, so I am confident I could do well again if I study on my own.

For what its worth, in my opinion if all you need is 8 more classes to raise your science GPA to a 3.5 than do the post-bacc. Perhaps take some more to up it closer to a 3.6 since according to the MSAR that is the median for mid tier schools. It would be more cost effective (financially cheaper + less stressful) than a SMP. Combined a good post-bacc record with a good MCAT and some recent experience in the medical field, you'll be competitive.

Yes- I did my calculations and actually, if I do 12 courses and do well, I can get the BCPM up to 3.56 (do they round that to 3.6?)

The more I read through the forums, the more I think that the post-bacc is a much better idea than the SMP.

Hey
I see that everybody seems to prefer the post bac option here. I was really leaning into the SMP, and I was wondering what you guys think of my logic:
I have a 3.51 GPA and a 30 MCAT, and I still have 30 credits to go until I graduate with a bachelors. I will also be retaking the MCAT.
I have done all the pre-medical coursework and more, seeing as though I am majoring in Anatomy. Hence I was thinking a SMP program was better for me, because I am taking or have taken many of the medical school courses they make you take in the SMP. I thought that a post bac was to brush up on the basic sciences, like chem and math. Am I wrong?
So, do you guys think that my logic is right or am I missing something?

Hey
I see that everybody seems to prefer the post bac option here. I was really leaning into the SMP, and I was wondering what you guys think of my logic:
I have a 3.51 GPA and a 30 MCAT, and I still have 30 credits to go until I graduate with a bachelors. I will also be retaking the MCAT.
I have done all the pre-medical coursework and more, seeing as though I am majoring in Anatomy. Hence I was thinking a SMP program was better for me, because I am taking or have taken many of the medical school courses they make you take in the SMP. I thought that a post bac was to brush up on the basic sciences, like chem and math. Am I wrong?
So, do you guys think that my logic is right or am I missing something?

Not sure that you need to do either with those stats...post bacc is not for "brush up" but typically for taking the pre reqs for the first time...SMPs are for people with low GPAs (lower than yours) who need to "prove their academic worth" to med schools...you say you have 30 hours remaining in college - make As in all your coursework, and raise your GPA, then apply to medical school (you do realize that you could apply right now, you know, with 90+ hours already taken? That is what many/most trad students do while in college, applying before their senior year)...

Hey Post Backer,
Thanks for the input. I am applying this year, but I am not confident about getting in, so I figured that I could raise the GPA to a max of 3.65 next year, and then instead of wasting a year to do nothing, I would do a SMP to increase my chances even more and actually learn something, making my first year easier.
From where I stand (metaphorically of course), this plan sounds good.
What do you think?
Anyone else have any comments?

Hey Post Backer,
Thanks for the input. I am applying this year, but I am not confident about getting in, so I figured that I could raise the GPA to a max of 3.65 next year, and then instead of wasting a year to do nothing, I would do a SMP to increase my chances even more and actually learn something, making my first year easier.
From where I stand (metaphorically of course), this plan sounds good.
What do you think?
Anyone else have any comments?

If you can get your GPA up over 3.6 in the next 30 hours, you do NOT need an SMP...SMPs are inherently very high risk deals - if you do not do really well in an SMP, you can kill your chances of ever getting in medical school. As a result, SMPs are best for applicants who have such a low GPA (say 2.7 to maybe 3.2) that they have no shot at med school without the SMP.

Your current grades are OK - plenty of people getting accepted to med schools with your current stats - and since you still have 30 hours left, your grades can get better. Think twice about an SMP...I would not do it if I were in your shoes...I would apply this cycle, and if you don't get in, I would apply again next year, and then possibly look into taking some additional upper level science classes...I would not consider an SMP before going through the next 2 cycles, assuming you have zero success...

Thanks for the advice Post Backer!