post-bac year vs. just taking science classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knh39

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've recently made the decision that I want to follow a long-time dream and go to med school. I'm a semi non-traditional student, as I'm 24 now and will likely be 26 or 27 by the time I start med school (assuming that I get in on my first round of apps). Problem is, my undergrad GPA is really bad- I graduated from a top state school in 2009 with a 2.9 GPA overall with a BA in Sociology, and a science GPA of somewhere in the 2.0 range. I have no excuses- I was a varsity athlete and in a sorority and just concerned with everything but classes. I somehow managed to get myself into grad school, and am in my last semester of finishing my MPH with a GPA of 3.7. I have a lot of experience working in medical offices, volunteer work, and a paper in the process of being published. I know I need to get my GPA up and rock the MCATs to even have a chance- question is- is it really preferable to do a post-bac year, or is it ok to just take a sequence of science classes? I took A+P I, A+P II and Microbio at my local community college, with a GPA of 3.95. I've been offered admission to a post-bac program at a well-known, private (read-expensive) university. I'm just concerned that it may not be worth shelling out the $28,000 tuition for the program, when I can pay ~$800/class. Input? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on what the post-bac program can offer you that just taking more classes can't.

Some post-bac programs are nothing more than you taking Undergrad courses and some semi-retired professor/administrator who sits in an office and says "You should take these courses this semester." Some have actual Pre-Med committees who work to get you into research groups, have a list of local doctors always eager to have students shadow them, dedicated study groups (for the classes themselves and the MCAT), they write you a committee letter (which from what I've gathered over the years, Adcoms prefer these over individual letters - generally anyway), etc

If it's the former, I'd suggest just taking courses at a local school - perhaps even retaking the same courses at the same school you originally took them at (DO schools allow you to swap grades). If it's the latter and they really work with you and support your desire to get into medical school, I'd go with them.

Perhaps you can tell us more about the specific program (without naming the school, etc - I understand wanting to protect your identity) so we can help more.

There's also the option of an SMP if you've already taken some/most of the pre-reqs for med school, a good number of post-bacs won't accept you if you've already done some/most of the courses.

Hello all,
I've recently made the decision that I want to follow a long-time dream and go to med school. I'm a semi non-traditional student, as I'm 24 now and will likely be 26 or 27 by the time I start med school (assuming that I get in on my first round of apps). Problem is, my undergrad GPA is really bad- I graduated from a top state school in 2009 with a 2.9 GPA overall with a BA in Sociology, and a science GPA of somewhere in the 2.0 range. I have no excuses- I was a varsity athlete and in a sorority and just concerned with everything but classes. I somehow managed to get myself into grad school, and am in my last semester of finishing my MPH with a GPA of 3.7. I have a lot of experience working in medical offices, volunteer work, and a paper in the process of being published. I know I need to get my GPA up and rock the MCATs to even have a chance- question is- is it really preferable to do a post-bac year, or is it ok to just take a sequence of science classes? I took A+P I, A+P II and Microbio at my local community college, with a GPA of 3.95. I've been offered admission to a post-bac program at a well-known, private (read-expensive) university. I'm just concerned that it may not be worth shelling out the $28,000 tuition for the program, when I can pay ~$800/class. Input? Thanks!
Is your goal MD, DO, or you don't care? Do you have the financial resources to give MD the best possible shot, or are you seriously limited (which makes DO a better path).

What kind of guarantees, or statistical chances of success does your Postbac Program advertise?