post bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportygirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done a post bac program? If so, where at?

Members don't see this ad.

sportygirl said:
Has anyone done a post bac program? If so, where at?

i'm currently not enrolled in a program per se, I'm just taking a few grad courses while i work. I am considering a masters though if things don't work out. Right now im just taking grad. biochem and a graduate microbio./immune/infectious disease type course. I'm also still awaiting a final response from a d-school so that also had a bearing on my approach to the whole class situation. If things don't happen this time around i might get a bit more serious this summer about the whole grad class/program approach. And...if that doesn't work out i'm gonna go on an international tour with Audio Slave and open for them at their shows. :laugh:

Oh yeah, it prob. wouldn't hurt to mention that the two classes i'm taking were specifically recommended to me by the Dean of Admissions at one of the d-schools i applied to.

I'm a little hesitant when considering a post-bac program, because from what my pre-dent advisor told me, they can be really competitive becuase sometimes the majority of the class is made up of people who didn't get into med school. Also, my concern would be that if you apply and don't get in, you don't really have anything to show because, correct me if I'm wrong, you recieve a certificate from a post-bac. If I don't get in this cycle, I'm just going for a master's because even if dental school doesn't pan out, I have somewhat of a backup plan possible, ie PhD program or whatever

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a bunch of you talking about your "post-bac" as if it's an alternative to getting a masters...are you referring to a specific type of program or are you just taking classes without moving towards a degree of any kind to up your GPA. Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I need a little clarification :oops: I've applied to dental school this year and haven't been offered any interviews, so I'm trying to work out the next step (masters or classes part-time next year). Thanks...

afrek said:
There are a bunch of you talking about your "post-bac" as if it's an alternative to getting a masters...are you referring to a specific type of program or are you just taking classes without moving towards a degree of any kind to up your GPA. Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I need a little clarification :oops: I've applied to dental school this year and haven't been offered any interviews, so I'm trying to work out the next step (masters or classes part-time next year). Thanks...

If your taking graduate classes, its not going to effect your undergrad. gpa, they are seperate.

SirShagaLot said:
If your taking graduate classes, its not going to effect your undergrad. gpa, they are seperate.

Yeah I know, that came out wrong.

The one program that I looked into was at LECOM (Lake Erie College of Oseteopathic Medicine) and it was in Biomedical Sciences I believe. It was a one year program with the classes at night, so you could have a day job I suppose. It was a little expensive I thought, (I can't remember how much) but like I said, I would think that it would be unbelievable competitive with all the rejected pre-meds, but I don't know that for sure. Talk to your advisor about the post-bac, he/she might be able to steer you in the right direction.

i just wrote a post on post bacs before seeing this one... i just wanted to know how the post baccs programs work- for those of you either attending one or are seriously planning on going- when are you planning on applying to dental school- the summer before you start the program or the summer after? i know this may seem like a dumb question and most will immediately say after-duh? but that means that it will be a waste of TWO years instead of one. i want to reapply to d-school this summer but will be attending a post bacc in the fall- will that still help me?

I have applied to a few post bac programs to begin in the summer or fall. However, the type of post bac I applied to is to get my basic sciences. If I get into the program that starts in the May, which is Temple, I would want to apply in June so I wouldn't have to skip a year. However, if I get into the program that starts in the fall, which is Drexel, I wouldn't apply to next summer because it is a evening part time program. Therefore, it would take me a year and a half to complete. Does anyone know if Temple's post bac program has a linkage to the dental school?

Hey,

Check out the Post-Bac forum under pre-medical. Everything there applies to pre-dents as well.

The only formal undergrad post-bac program that I am aware of that has a direct linkage to dental school is Tufts. It's a good (expensive) program and is always very selective.

Sporty, you sound like you're in a similar situation to me. Undergrad degree in (insert some non-science major) and you're looking to get all of your pre-reqs out of the way. Remember that at most schools you're looking at a minimum of five consecutive semesters (chem1, chem2, orgo1, orgo2, biochem) but also remember that you don't need to have all the pre-reqs completed before applying. What you DO need is a firm enough foundation in college-level bio, chem, and orgo to ACE the DAT. You need to complete orgo 1 at the bare minimum -- orgo 2 recommended -- before taking the DAT which is something that you DO need to have before applying.

Hope that makes some sense. I opted for a second bachelor's and love it. Hopefully I'll be entering this year's admission cycle. PM me if you have any questions... I love being able to help.

Mack