post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

singingdoc84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am recent college graduate (may 2007) and I am experiencing a bit of a dillemma. I designed my own major entitled biopsychosocial studies. I have taken a year and a half of biology, a year of general chemistry, and a semester of organic chemistry. I think I averaged a C/C- in these courses, However my grades ranged from B to D+. I have come across the following types of post-bac programs: 1.) career changers who have atleast a 3.0 GPA 2.) academic record enhancers for people who have completed the pre-medical requirements but need to boost their GPA. I am somewhere in between thetwo because my GPA ( included other courses) is a 2.7. But I hav eno taken physics. So I am curious if I should take the required courses on my own at a university or if I should continue looking for a post-bac program.

If I decide to take courses on my own, should I do them in one year or two? Th eone year would probably be very rigorous, but will that prepare me for the rigor of medical school better?

Or should I do them in two years so I have ample time to master the subject and do well in the class?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh wow you sound just like me! I was in the same boat as you and was blocked from most post bacc programs. So I'm doing it on my own! I'm on a two year plan, taking some classes over along with some upper level classes as well to boost up my stats. I go to Hunter College in NYC where there is a strong post bacc community here. If you have any more questions PM me.

You will probably have a hard time getting into a formal post bac since they generally want a 3.0 and higher, but I think there are some that will accept a 2.7. If they do make sure of the per course requirements, since some may require at least a C in each course. Since you haven't taken physics yet then your best bet is probably an informal or a la carte postbac. Essentially you would enroll as a non matriculating student and take the missing courses you need in addition to upper level sciences. I think the new program at hampton is 2 years and might even include the pre reques but I don't know much about it sso others will have to answer or go on their website (or google).

As for the duration...that's up to you. I know when I graduated I felt this overwhelming sense of urgency that I just had to get everything done yesterday...the feling hasn't gone away but I'm better able to deal with it. As NJBMD always says the most improtant thing is the ourcome of the classes (i.e. the grades earned), not the time it takes you or the school you go to. As long as it's a four year degree granting univ you should be cool (and even if you have to take a few courses at a comm college that might be ok too). Go to a school that you can a) afford and b) do well in. If you're still at your UG institution the you can definitly stay there to take the courses. As for full vs part time, if you can afford to go FT then I say do it, but agaion only if you will be able to manage all of the classes and do very will (you want ideally As or B+s to bring up your GPA). It also sounds like you haven't taken thee MCAT. If so you may want to enroll in TPR or Kaplan. After a year of taking classes re evaluate your position. You may find that you are eligible for some formal post bac programs which include MCAP prep in addition to additional sciences. You can also call some of the programs with lower GPA requirements (although most also require an MCAT score too areound 24 or 27 (i.e. 8's or 9s in each section). The directors might be able to advise as to your viability in their progrram. You are definitly not a career changer since it sounds like you only need one prereq, but there may be one or two programs who will accept you (maybe goucher or UVA off the top of my head but I honestly don't know much about their programs). Also look in the postbac forum. There are people in similar circumstances that will be able to offer additional advice. G'luck :luck: