Post-Bacc Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Physics Guy1421

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone could offer some advice....

I graduated this year with a degree in math/physics and a GPA of 3.23. I have taken the DAT's once already and am taking them again in september (needless to say my scores from the first test weren't too hot). I'm applying for the 2008 cycle but if things don't work out my pre-health advisor has suggested doing some "post-bac" work.

I always thought that "post-bac" meant a masters, but am finding out this might not be the case. I have read some stuff online that there are "Pre-Med Post-Baccalaureate" programs that are designed for people with little science or who wish to strengthen their credentials and are usually a year long. But it appears that most of these pre-med post bac programs are specifically for students who want to go to medical school.

My question is do specific "post-bac" programs that would help strengthen one's credentials for dental school exist? Or is the best option the masters in biological sciences?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Post-bac programs (non-masters) will be averaged into your Undergrad, Master will be as separate "grad" gpa. With a 3.2 i would say you can go either route. If you decide on a master you may want to consider a masters in biomedical sciences. The UC Berkeley pre-med/dental postbac i think is a good option for you. You can probably increase your science and BCP gpa a decent amount... goodluck to you...

I just started a Post-Bac program right now. The official name of the program is Pre-Professsional M.S. Non-Thesis. At the end of next year, I will have a masters. Its true, most of the people in my classes are med school bound people, there there are quite a few people like us. As for do they prepare you for dental school, it depends on the classes they offer. This semester I'm taking a whole course on the molecular biology of bone and also sensory systems. I'm taking 3 other courses but they dont really pertain to dentistry.

If you do well in a strenuous curriculum, it shows that you can survive dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its NOT true to any post-bac will get included in your undergrad GPA. It depends on the level of classes you take. Basically there are:
1. Programs for people with little or poor science background in undergrad. You take orgo, pchem, anatomy, etc. at an Undergrad level on an undergrad campus and yes, they boost your undergrad GPA. Most of these programs will not accept you if you already have a decent science background bc that is not what their curriculum is geared towards. They also often offer DAT prep (or MCAT prep) type classes.
2. Programs with people who have low stats but solid prereqs or have a gap year (me) or just recently decided they want to go into healthcare. Bc youve already taken all the important undergrad sciences and there isnt much left for you at that level, these are usually grad courses factored into a new grad GPA, NOT YOUR UNDERGRAD. some are full blown masters programs but there are many that are one year programs (that you can later turn into a MS or phD if you cant get into dental school). These programs often say pre-med but they really mean pre-health (pre-med just gets them more applicants....its kinda a marketing game). even if its not a masters program, if they are 500 plus courses and your "Registration" is as a "certificate" seeking student, they go into your grad gpa.

Your in the middle of the road since we don't know your GPA. Read through SDN and make sure you were smart about the schools you chose to apply to.

Also remember that most school REQUIRE that you finish any program your in before entering their program. That means that if you enter a 2 yr MS program and then get into dental school next year, they probably wont let you go bc you havent finished the MS! Look into this for specific schools but its basically a common courtesy among schools to make student take their programs more seriously.

I just started a Post-Bac program right now. The official name of the program is Pre-Professsional M.S. Non-Thesis.
If you do well in a strenuous curriculum, it shows that you can survive dental school.

Decan thanks for the feedback...would you mind telling me what school you are enrolled at?

Thanks!

Ehhhh and Pyriots....thanks for the great feedback!

Can you guys name any specific programs, I'm not having any luck with google searches.

Thanks!

There are a LOT of programs out there, specially if you include things like non thesis masters programs. Ask any advisor and they'll list the ones geographically close to you.

I'm in the MCV program. I can tell it'll be very hard but I love knowing that I'm learning a hell of alot. Its a one year post-bac certificate. Basically I take all the same classes as the 1st year phD students.

What you want to search is "gap year programs" and youll get quite a list.

heres a few other examples.
http://www.fiu.edu/~preprofc/GAP_YEAR_PROGRAMS.htm

some of these are more medically geared. I don't think theres any reason for you to look for one thats dental oriented however I would most definitely try to go to one thats either affiliated or located on the same campus as a dental school (bc networking is way to important).

For example, I really liked the Drexel program but they could care less about dental.

VCU also has something called the D5 but you can't apply for that intentionally, they just kind of pick you.

I'm in the MCV program. I can tell it'll be very hard but I love knowing that I'm learning a hell of alot. Its a one year post-bac certificate. Basically I take all the same classes as the 1st year phD students.

Pyriots...thanks for all the great feedback. Is MCV the medical college of virginia. If so could you provide me with that website? Would I be eligible for the MCV program if I've had the pre-req's like gen bio and chem and organic.

Thanks!