Post-Bacc Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

essbee2010

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I graduated at the end of May from a small liberal arts college in New England (nescac school) with a Bachelors degree in History and Economics. I ended up with a cumulative gpa of 3.18 and have not taken a science course since high school (except a chem for non-scientist class for distribution requirements to be fulfilled). In high school I only really enjoyed Biology and received a 1900 on my SATs. I think I took the Bio SAT subject test, but I don't quite remember. I am interested in applying to post bacc programs for either Summer 2011 or Fall 2011 and plan to volunteer/work in a medical clinic to gain some experience/insight. I doubt I would be accepted into the top tier programs like Hopkins, Bryn Mawr, etc - but would schools like BU, Harvard Extension, NYU, Columbia, Tufts, Brandeis accept me? How are schools like Wellesley, UConn, Northeastern, UMass-Boston, Temple and Drexel and Georgetown regarded in the unofficial ranking of post-bacc programs? I'd like to stay on the east coast preferably in the north. Thanks for the insight!

I've also taken Calculus I -- B+ (and Statistics, but I'm not sure if thats actually important here)
 
Last edited:
Hi I graduated at the end of May from a small liberal arts college in New England (nescac school) with a Bachelors degree in History and Economics. I ended up with a cumulative gpa of 3.18 and have not taken a science course since high school (except a chem for non-scientist class for distribution requirements to be fulfilled). In high school I only really enjoyed Biology and received a 1900 on my SATs. I think I took the Bio SAT subject test, but I don't quite remember. I am interested in applying to post bacc programs for either Summer 2011 or Fall 2011 and plan to volunteer/work in a medical clinic to gain some experience/insight. I doubt I would be accepted into the top tier programs like Hopkins, Bryn Mawr, etc - but would schools like BU, Harvard Extension, NYU, Columbia, Tufts, Brandeis accept me? How are schools like Wellesley, UConn, Northeastern, UMass-Boston, Temple and Drexel and Georgetown regarded in the unofficial ranking of post-bacc programs? I'd like to stay on the east coast preferably in the north. Thanks for the insight!

I've also taken Calculus I -- B+ (and Statistics, but I'm not sure if thats actually important here)

If you're already in the area, go to Harvard Extension School. They're a v. good informal program, relatively cheap, & night classes will enable you to work (and thus lessen your debt load) while going to school. I've heard terrible things about Columbia, & rumor has it Temple is a toxic program to be avoided at all costs (Note: I have no first-hand knowledge of either program - mostly those impressions are via friend-of-a-friend info, so take it w/ a grain of salt.) I have a friend who had a good experience @ Tufts postbacc. Drexel is generally well-regarded as a postbacc, plus they are a school that really likes their nontrad students (according to the aforementioned friend who went there for med school). I know nothing about UMASS-Boston, but it is worth checking out. I think it and Harvard extension school might be similarly priced, although they may differ according to the organization/supports available to postbaccs.

WRT getting into a program, my general impression of informal postbaccs is that anyone who is able to pay can get in. I have no idea how accurate that is, or how much it varies by the specific school.