Post-Bacc and MCAT

Started by Xcited392
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Xcited392

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently a first-year Post-Bacc student. By the end of this semester, I will have completed my physics requirements. I'm currently re-taking O-Chem since I did poorly in it two years ago, but now I am doing a lot better and have a much better understanding of it all.

I would like to take the MCAT this Fall, however it has been about 4-5 years since I last took Bio and I don't know if I remember much; also, it has been 3 years since I took Gen Chem.

So, would taking the MCAT in August/September be doable for me? I'm planning to start studying in May, so that would give me around 3-4 months in advance. Or should I push it back a few more months, since I'm planning to take upper-level science classes (physiology, biochem, and/or cell) in the Fall, which would refresh/reinforce biology principles for the MCAT?

I'm also wanting to take microbiology over the summer, should I not take it and just devote my time to the MCAT, if you all do think I can take the MCAT? The microbio class that I might take isn't that bad from what I've heard, plus it could reinforce basic bio principles.

Any advice?

Thank you very much.