post bacc and upper level sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AwaPremed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i need to take upper level science classes to boost my gpa and i was wondering, what post bacc programs offer those upper level science courses and some of the basic ones?

which ones guarantee direct admission to medical school? any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

i was planning on graduating at the end of this year. and then go straight into a postbacc program. have the application deadlines already passed?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody guarantees admission to med school. If you're graduating with strong grades, you may want to look into programs that have linkage agreements with med schools that will guarantee admission *if* you complete the post-bacc program with good grades and get a minimum cutoff on the mcat. I dont think there are many linkage type programs for those who've already completed the pre-reqs and want to take upper levels. The ones that do have linkage agreements include:

Columbia
Penn
Johns Hopkins

A few others that I'm not familiar with...

there are "certificate programs" and "special master programs" where you take a lot of first year med school courses. I know BU and Drexel (or is it Temple?) has certificate programs, there are others. those are specifically designed as 'gpa boosters'. there is also the special masters at georgetown. I would recommend doing a search on this forum and looking at the "FAQ post-bacc" thread at the top of this forum.
the programs i mentioned are VERY expensive. if you can afford it and/or have a sugar daddy, then go for it. like someone above said, i don't think any can give you a hands down guarantee entrance into med school.
another alternative is, if you live near a state school and its a respected 4 year insitution, you can take upper level science courses there. i found this to be the best choice for me. its much more affordable and in the end will give you the same result, a higher overall and science gpa and will make a more competitve aplicant.
good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Penn and Harvard offer "some of the basic ones" and a good number of upper level science courses. Penn has a linkage. I don't think Harvard does, but I could be wrong. Also look into your state school - they always seem to have something.

sidewalkman said:
Penn and Harvard offer "some of the basic ones" and a good number of upper level science courses. Penn has a linkage. I don't think Harvard does, but I could be wrong. Also look into your state school - they always seem to have something.

I don't know if this helps anyone, but I found this postbacc website very useful.

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/