Post-Bacc Application Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am thinking about applying to a postbacc program but on the application one of the essay questions(no limit or any required length) is 'What is my special interest in the program'. Obviously the honest answer is that I want to become a physician and I think having an MD degree is the professional goal I want to achieve. It's possible that I won't get in through direct admissions to the MD schools I've applied to this year and that is why I want to complete the program in question. I don't think that is the answer they are looking for and there is another essay question that inquires for the reason I want to pursue medicine as a career. In light of this how should I tackle this question? I'm just looking for a few pointers. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps the question is more about why are you interested in that specific program? The location, the small class size, their mission, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps the question is more about why are you interested in that specific program? The location, the small class size, their mission, etc?

This

The question isnt asking about your long term care goals, its asking how School X is going to help you achieve that. What unique things that School X has in their program will help you achieve your goals

I laughed a little when I read this part, sorry :p I wouldn't be able to write about their mission with a straight face lol (most post-bac programs have the same mission as far as I can tell). Definitely agree with the other points though. To the OP, other points you can hit on are the advising, research and clinical opportunities, and perhaps the rigor of the curriculum and sense of community.

Definitely worth mentioning location if it's good. You can expand on that with clinical opportunities, research opportunities, etc.