Post Bacc Back-up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emh_omega-323

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
Currently in the early stages of applying to pre-med post-baccs and I'm basically brimming over with questions.
I'm trying to choose which schools to add and can't decide what to add in as a back-up. I've got pretty good stats (which I'll list below) so I'm thinking one of my top choices is likely, but I want to cover my bases and prepare for the possibility of rejection, especially since I'm a slightly older student (29) and I'd love to make things happen soon. My current list is Scripps, Goucher, Bryn Mawr, UVA (top choice would be Scripps--I'm a Cali native and being near my support system would be huge). I'm looking for a back-up that's formal (ideally), one-year (non-negotiable, essential), west coast based, and a little less competitive while still having decent success rates. Lower cost certainly wouldn't hurt, but isn't absolutely required. I had ruled out USC and Mills because of the two-year thing, but if there is a reasonable way to do it in one I'd consider. I know a lot of people say it doesn't matter where you go as long as you keep a good GPA and MCAT, but formal structure, support, and help with MCAT prep would sure be nice. Any thoughts?

Stats:
GPA: Undergrad (UCLA, Anthropology and Public Policy) 3.86
sGPA (this only includes two classes) 4.0
Masters in International Affairs (specialization in environmental health) 3.9
Test scores: SAT 1550 (can't remember divide, but again near perfect on verbal, lower but still good on quant)
GRE Verbal 170, Quant 159
Experience: Travel Guiding, Human Rights, Research Assistant (in social sciences) Volunteer Humanitarian Aid (with somewhat indirect medical components), a couple of academic conference presentations (again social sciences)
I'm looking for some sort of patient care assistant job right now, so I should have a couple months under my belt before I apply

Goal: Psychiatry, with a reasonably compelling (but not super personal) story about why I want this

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you're just a person who can't have a normal conversation with someone, you'll probably get a couple acceptances. When I was going through the application process I couldn't find many good west coast options outside of Scripps and Mills. If you're truly committed to the cause and you get into Bryn Mawr, Goucher, or UVA then you should go. I say this of course not knowing your individual personal/familial/any other significant circumstances that would prevent you from being able to move. Nor is it any of my business. BUT, if you do have the option to move and get into one of those programs then, in my opinion, you should. If moving absolutely isn't an option for whatever reason, your best bet is probably to just register for classes at a local college/university and start doing the credits until you're ready to take the MCAT/apply to med school.