post bacc classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timwat2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im correct that these are just classes you take after you graduate from college, right? You dont have to join some sort of special post-baccalaureat program for science classes taken after undergrad to count do you?
Im asking because I am about to start working towards the science requirement, of which I have nothing, and I want to know for sure that the grades I make in these classes are going to count towards my GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Im correct that these are just classes you take after you graduate from college, right? You dont have to join some sort of special post-baccalaureat program for science classes taken after undergrad to count do you?
Im asking because I am about to start working towards the science requirement, of which I have nothing, and I want to know for sure that the grades I make in these classes are going to count towards my GPA.

Most people refer to a specific program when they say "post-bacc". These are generally geared towards folks who need to get all of their science cred together so it can take two years to complete. Then again, I think it doesn't matter whether you're in an official program as long as you get good grades from a good school (and not just some community college). The only plus of a post-bacc is they are geared specifically to med school and you can get good recommendations out of it. I haven't actually gone though (just known friends who did), so my advice runs out here.

i took post-bacc undergrad classes to fulfill my premed pre-reqs and they counted towards my undergrad BCPM and AO GPA if that's what you're asking?

and no you don't need to be a part of a special program you can take them on your own.

Informally, post-bacc simply means classes taken after you've completed your bacc. degree. You can just sign up and take the classes as you are able. Depending on your circumstances, you can sometimes tell the school you want to enroll in a second bachelor's degree. This way, you will often get priority registration AND typically be eligible for financial aid if you need assistance paying for the classes. Or you can just sign up as a non-degree seeking student. These classes will definitely be included in your undergrad cumulative GPA and they will comprise your BCPM GPA too if taken this way.

Now, there are also formal post-bacc programs as Luxian described.

And there are SMPs too (Special Master's Program). But since that would be a Master's degree....I assume the classes would then be a part of your graduate GPA.