Post Bacc for Disadvantaged Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which post bacc's should I apply for? I am from Texas and will have a B.S. in Biology. Please give me advice and let me know if you know of any really good programs that offer financial aid and housing. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Loyola offers one year of financial aid under a "fifth-year undergraduate classification." This means that you are allotted $5,500 per semester for the Stafford Loan. On a side note, you must take classes on at least a half-time basis (2 classes per semester) back-to-back because you will lose the financial aid otherwise.

To supplement your aid, you can also take out an Education One loan from Bank One, which has a generous repayment schedule. There are some age/job restrictions, however.

But the quality of the program is good, and the area (Rogers Park) is relatively inexpensive to live in. You don't need a car in Chicago, and that will save you lots of $.

What Loyola program are you talking about? How much is rent in that area? So u dont think I should bring my truck up there haha

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought loyola was like 40 grand a year though

So, I would advise against going to a post-baccalaureate degree from a private program b/c the cost is pretty disgusting. Disadvantage status, from my experience, and most of my friends is one of those things that only comes in handy for interviews.... and really nothing else (I mean really, when does not having money help?).

Alright, so you WILL be able to qualify for 2,750 in subs and 3,000 unsubs loans (thats 5750 = 1 semester, 11,500 for 2) for your 5th year and ANY undergraduate college will let you do this. College is a business, and they want your money. I would apply VERY early b/c many schools that give out random scholarships that have deadlines.

Also, depending on what your gpa looks like, you might consider going into a 2 year master's program where you receive a 15-18k stipend. Now you cannot get this for junk like physiology or physical therapy etc, but if you went to graduate school for chemistry or biology, and (usually you cannot tell them your intention of staying for 2 years) mastered out instead of pursuing the phd you could actually make money or break even. Unfortunately, medical school admissions is full of ******ed policies and many deflate or skew graduate school gpa's.

Post bacc programs such as Loyola's and Finch's are pricey. Oh btw, I still like Loyola, and if that school is your first choice, then by all means post bacc there.

Do Yall Know Any Post Bacc Programs That Offer Generous Financial Aid?

Why would any post-bac offer generous financial aid?
Basically you're the one coming to them to beef up your academic credentials, and so they're going to charge a premium per credit hour.

At Loyola, it was possible to get academic scholarships made available to Mundelein students (the adult-learning), but as of last fall (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), those scholarships are no longer available.

Looks like you're gonna have to do it like a lot of nontraditionals on this forum and take out an a@@load of loans and/or work full-time and squeeze in a evening or weekend class. It takes longer, but it's a viable alternative. Good luck.

I'm doing a postbacc at American entirely on loans. I'm looking at it as being similar to grad school and therefore an investment.

what schools have a 2 year MS program that gives out stipends?

bump :confused: Help me pick which schools I should apply to

You should probably post in the Biomedical Research section to get more responses